PDA

View Full Version : How would you repair this leak?

bmcduffy
03/13/2014, 09:58 AM
Oh boy, woke up to one of the drains in my tank leaking water! This is a 65g closed loop and the bulkhead/drain is in the bottom of my tank. Any suggestions on how to go about the repair without tearing the tank down?

JackandJill
03/13/2014, 10:15 AM
Need more specific information to accurately help, is the bulkhead leaking around the threads?

leveldrummer
03/13/2014, 02:41 PM
drain the tank into a tub, catch fish, place them in the tub, fix bulkhead, put water back and add fish back, corals can be exposed to air for a while, just work fast.

bmcduffy
03/13/2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys. I do think it's leaking around the threads. I guess it's drain time huh? I appreciate the advise very much!

johnike
03/13/2014, 04:10 PM
Try and loosen and tighten it real quick just for kicks?

bmcduffy
03/13/2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks John. One of the things I love about Forums and Reef Central. Strangers willing to help another stranger. Just awesome!

What I ended up doing was cover it in two part epoxy. I know, bad move and I usually don't do things if I can't do them right but I had a meeting today that I absolutely could not miss. It could have cost me what the tank is worth. So I played with the connection, no luck, clock ticking. Well, long story short I had a full stick of water weld so.......:beer:

johnike
03/14/2014, 04:41 AM
One must do what one's gotta do sometimes.
I hate leaks.
:)