PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new reef build

Elbrandon
03/13/2014, 11:25 AM
I'm have started research over a month ago and I am still very confused about what I need and the price I need to spend. I want a 55 gallon reef tank (or 40G.) with ether t5 or LEDs and a sump with protein skimmer and I do not know if I need a Refugium or a carbon and gfo reactor. If you could please post your build or a good build for me I only have $1000 just for the tank and equipment I could go up a little more but not much thanks for reading.

BOMPH
03/13/2014, 11:47 AM
You don't need a calcium reactor day one. You would have nothing consuming all that calcium anyway..

You don't need a GFO/Carbon reactor either. I personally run carbon in a bag, have for close to 25 years, never a problem.. If you start experiencing problems with phosphate, spring for the GFO, they are cheap, but you don't need it to start.

As for refugium, that is not a necessity either, but if you feel you want one, plan the space for it, but again, you don't need that to start.

As for equipment, make sure you can get good lighting (t5 should be in your budget) and a good skimmer to start off with. I run a 28g cube with a hang on Remora skimmer and a Kessil a350W for lighting. Aside from a basic heater and the circulation pumps built into the cube's overflow, my setup is sparse, and working well, one of the more successful tanks i've run over the 25 years i've been doing FO/Reef tanks..

My secret (and many others secret too) is weekly water changes. All the equipment in the world won't do you any good if you don't start off with, and change your water WITH RO/DI WATER.. I can't stress that enough... If you can't buy the water from a store, or make it yourself, don't bother setting up a tank until you have the means to do so.. just my experience over the years skimping on the water to save for some gadget or another.

I don't want to recommend equipment I haven't used, ( the remora works exceedingly well for me, as does the Kessil) so I will leave that to others.. But I cannot stress the RO/DI part enough. Save more money until you can get one, if you can't buy the water from a local store to begin with.

tkeracer619
03/13/2014, 03:35 PM
Wait for a petco $1 per gallon sale. $40 for a brand new 40g breeder. This is way better then a standard 55g. 55g tanks make for some difficult aquascaping and lighting. Drill the tank for an overflow.

Build your own stand out of ply.

A 4 bulb DIY Retro t5 kit.
something like x2 of these http://www.aquacave.com/36-TEK-2-T5-Retro-Kit-2-x-39W-lamps-by-Sunlight-Supply-P648.aspx

A 10g tank (also at petco $1/g) for a sump.

A TLF Media Reactor 150 with cobalt aquatics mj1200 feed pump.

Small return pump like an ehiem compact.

Should be able to land all that for about $500 which gives you plenty of money for a skimmer, a refractometer, a controller, a heater, and some high quality test kits.

Hopefully this gives you a direction to start. I am sure many more will chime in.

Reefahholic
03/13/2014, 04:16 PM
I would go w/ a 40breeder at the petco sale as stated above.

10-20 sump. I personally like a bigger sump. I would do a 20/g.

I would use PVC 1" with 3/4" returns to hard plumb the system.

Jager heater.

Find a decent skimmer. SWC or Reef Octopus are reasonable. Go at least 2x your total water volume.

Check out these LED's:
Reefbreeders or Ocean Revive...cheap and effective.

Salifert test kits.

Instant ocean salt.

Mag drive 500 return pump.

DIY stand...search that on here and a good build thread will come up.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Good luck!

Elbrandon
03/13/2014, 04:27 PM
How much will all this cost

tkeracer619
03/13/2014, 04:43 PM
In the long run? A lot more than you can imagine :)

If you have a significant other does he/she know you are on this website? :lol:

Elbrandon
03/13/2014, 05:05 PM
Lol I'm 15 so no but I have $10,000 in the bank but I don't want to spend it all on this.so I going to spend $1000 or a little more for the tank and equipment and $500 for fish coral and some live rock

Reefahholic
03/13/2014, 05:48 PM
Lol I'm 15 so no but I have $10,000 in the bank but I don't want to spend it all on this.so I going to spend $1000 or a little more for the tank and equipment and $500 for fish coral and some live rock

That 10 G's will be gone once you buy your first coral and fish! Lol

Your gonna get addicted...

Elbrandon
03/13/2014, 06:14 PM
Lol probably but I hope $1500 is adequate for tank build and starter fish and like 2 corals.

greech
03/13/2014, 06:45 PM
^Getting some good advice.

Your budget is reasonable but try and find some good used equipment to help. Research and buy quality stuff especially lights, skimmer and pumps. You won't have much wiggle room to buy equipment twice because you settled for what is at the box stores. The hobby is so much more enjoyable with reliable equipment.

Hopefully you have a good LFS nearby.

Elbrandon
03/13/2014, 06:54 PM
^Getting some good advice.

Your budget is reasonable but try and find some good used equipment to help. Research and buy quality stuff especially lights, skimmer and pumps. You won't have much wiggle room to buy equipment twice because you settled for what is at the box stores. The hobby is so much more enjoyable with reliable equipment.

Hopefully you have a good LFS nearby.

I wish im in a small town in Texas and the fish store here is a tiny store and has it horrible customer serves and only have a tiny bit of saltwater equipment and only like 5 coral frags

Dbondaruk
03/13/2014, 06:55 PM
A good tank is the 65 gallon by marineland, I think..same foot print as the 40 gal but a little higher and it comes drilled,I wouldn't suggest LEDs if your just getting into the hobby... MH are proven and t5 as well...try to get low wattage equipment, I have a mag 9 on a 40 and that alone almost heats my water.dont rush, take your time planning because that's most the fun part.

Dbondaruk
03/13/2014, 06:58 PM
And if you have more go with a bigger tank, 75 gallon. If your near pittsburg they have them on sale for 75 dollars

Nvm just read texas

greech
03/13/2014, 07:05 PM
Ask your parents to order you some good stuff online.

Elbrandon
03/13/2014, 07:06 PM
And if you have more go with a bigger tank, 75 gallon. If your near pittsburg they have them on sale for 75 dollars

Nvm just read texas

Ya Texas sucks for saltwater tanks

Elbrandon
03/13/2014, 08:31 PM
Ask your parents to order you some good stuff online.

They said I have to buy it lol