PDA

View Full Version : Bringing acan colors

Soccerjay
03/13/2014, 11:42 AM
Are there certain things i can do to make my acans grow in brighter colors or maybe even new colors? I have one thats is red and grayish, one large polyped green with a bright blue, and another one i cant remember...i will post pics later. My tank is a solona 34g i am getting a aqua illumination hydra LED lighting system for it. The tank has a few fish and mostly softies like ricordea, shrooms, and some sps like frogspawns and dendros.....the water quality is spot on every time i check it. I havent had the chance to check magnesium or alk but calc is 480ppm and the water doesnt fluctuate much at all. Everything is practically ideal for coral but how should i put it (shaded or open to light) and i know it should be mid to ground level and i might open up space at the bottom if its ideal....anything and everything to help these guys color up would be great. All my coral seem happy cause they open up quite large and the acans with tentacles (one doesnt have them) do eat.....ive had them for only a few weeks now and if i could get some really nice colors (maybe even rainbow ;)) that would be so awesome although most probably not.

Soccerjay
03/13/2014, 02:20 PM

And this might be an acan269384

Soccerjay
03/13/2014, 07:15 PM
Nvm the last one its actually a mushroom

Soccerjay
03/14/2014, 05:14 AM
Anyone?

Mael
03/14/2014, 10:56 AM
Good feeding seemed to help mine stay bright and grow. I feed small ones rotifer mixed with reef chilli or other plankton. The bigger ones take in mysis and brine shrimp pretty well when spot feeding.

Other than that, proper lighting and nutrient levels. I know high calc levls promote growth and not coloration in SPS and it might be the same in LPS, probably only need 400-440ppm for LPS.

CoralReeForrest
03/14/2014, 03:35 PM
From what I've been reading people are tending to say that actually putting them in a lower light tend to help bring out colors though that may take some time!

Art13
03/26/2014, 03:57 PM
i've seen mine with less light get a more intense color.