PDA

View Full Version : Hippo tang

alf1096
03/13/2014, 04:42 PM
I have a 65 gal that I got from a friend. He took all the fish and added them to his tank but he already had a hippo tang and the fought so he gave it to me. I added 3 bangi cardinals everything looked but did notice the hippo was nipping at the cardinals.

I came brace 3 hrs later and 2 of my cardinals are dead. I can only assume the tang is to blame. I don't really want to get rid of the tang but also don't want it killing fish. What can I do.

Jandawil
03/13/2014, 04:49 PM
I have a 65 gal that I got from a friend. He took all the fish and added them to his tank but he already had a hippo tang and the fought so he gave it to me. I added 3 bangi cardinals everything looked but did notice the hippo was nipping at the cardinals.

I came brace 3 hrs later and 2 of my cardinals are dead. I can only assume the tang is to blame. I don't really want to get rid of the tang but also don't want it killing fish. What can I do.

65 gal is far too small for a hippo....recommended tank size is 180 gallons. They also need a lot of room (ie...long tank) to swim. Could be the small tank is just frustrating/stressing him out so he's taking it out on the others.

alf1096
03/13/2014, 05:00 PM
Ok guess I need to find him a new home.

snorvich
03/13/2014, 05:07 PM
65 gal is far too small for a hippo....recommended tank size is 180 gallons. They also need a lot of room (ie...long tank) to swim. Could be the small tank is just frustrating/stressing him out so he's taking it out on the others.

Actually, the Reef Central recommended tank size for P. hepatus is an 8 foot 240 gallon tank. Keeping a fish that can exceed 1 foot in length would look rather strange in a six foot tank.

danil
03/13/2014, 05:10 PM
:( to be honest I've never heard hippo picks on cardinals. I think he was stressed indeed.