PDA

View Full Version : powerheads or closed loop

tankdrunk
03/13/2014, 07:51 PM
Hello all. Question for everyone...I'm about to start the build on a new 180 gallon tank. Debating between cluttering it up with powerheads or cleaning up the look with a closed loop. Wondering what the feedback is from those running closed loops now? I've got powerheads running in my other two tanks now, and they work well, but I'd like the look of this tank to be "cleaner" since it's going to be the focal piece of the room (like an aquarium in any room isn't the focus). I'm just worried about getting enough flow in this size tank with powerheads and not having a bunch of them in there. Thanks in advance.

All__talk
03/13/2014, 09:05 PM
I think with today's controllable power heads you can create lots of flow with minimal hardware. But I'm with you I'd rather see none of that in my tank. My issue with closed loop it two fold, leak/failure points low in the tank potentially draining the tank to the bulkhead level. And power consumption, its gonna take a lot more watts to equal the flow of power heads.

Gary

davocean
03/13/2014, 09:10 PM
I don't care for loops anymore because if that pump fails, you just lost the heart of your system.

ca1ore
03/13/2014, 09:29 PM
I use a closed loop to augment my vortech pumps but I'd not use it as the sole form of circulation. Besides the reliance on a single pump (in most cases), simply is not an effective way to generate broad flow without burning a fortune in electricity.

tankdrunk
03/18/2014, 07:38 PM
so for all of you running power heads then, what are your recommendations for the least intrusive into the tank, with the most flow, and high efficiency?

mfinn
03/18/2014, 07:44 PM
I'm starting a new build. A 240 gallon and I'm going with a Reeflow Snapper/Dart hybrid.
I'm hoping to make my tank builder happy and not clutter up his creation with my Tunzes. lol

I could be happy too

rad3dad
03/18/2014, 09:01 PM
I just built a 125 with my first closed loop. I definitely like not seeing any equipment or power heads in the tank, and wires running all over the place. I cant imagine how many I would need to create the flow I'm getting from my iwaki.

RayL
03/18/2014, 09:28 PM
so for all of you running power heads then, what are your recommendations for the least intrusive into the tank, with the most flow, and high efficiency?

Vortech mp40 or mp60

tkeracer619
03/18/2014, 09:38 PM
Vortechs. Lowest profile and no stupid wires in the tank.