PDA

View Full Version : Lyretails Arrived Safe & Sound Despite Deep Chill

Buzz1329
03/13/2014, 09:12 PM
Received my order of Lyretail Anthias today. Despite the deep freeze here in NYC, they look great and all seem to be in good health, thanks. I was surprised that salinity level of water they came in was less than 1.020. But I slowed the acclimation process, used Amquel to stop ammonia explosion, and all survived transfer to QTs.

I'm curious though. Why is the salinity level so low on fish shipments?

Also, I appreciate the tube of SeaChem Stress Guard that accompanied fish, but after reading product literature ("will reduce . . . ammonia toxicity"), I decided to add Amquel which unequivocally states that it eliminates ammonia.

Since ammonia spike after opening fish bag seems to be the numero uno cause of post-shipment fish fatalities, and SeaChem product does not seem to fully address this problem, why the Seachem and not the Amquel?

Finally, the freebie paly colony was a pleasant surprise. Nice size and nice colored colony attached to rock (as opposed to plug). Thanks!

shifty51008
03/14/2014, 06:42 AM
according to previous posts their sg for fish is 1.019 and corals and inverts are 1.025. this is not uncommon for a pet store.

glad your anthias came is well though, I like hearing stories like this. I am just waiting for a certain fish to come in and then I will be trying them out also.

BlueZooAquatics
03/14/2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear all went well.

We are the only company that we know of that provides an ammonia neutralizing agent with every shipment. We have never been able to understand how other companies can get away with not sending something like Stressguard, AmQuil or Amo Detox with orders. As pH of the shipping water rises, ammonia becomes more and more toxic to the fish if it is not neutralized.

We actually use a combo of Ammo Detox and Methalyne Blue when we receive fish on import. The Stressguard is actually a good combo of those two products plus it has calming properties for the fish. It contains the same chemical that AmQuil does to neutralize ammonia plus other stuff so that is a big reason why it was chosen.

Take care.

Buzz1329
03/14/2014, 04:53 PM
according to previous posts their sg for fish is 1.019 and corals and inverts are 1.025. this is not uncommon for a pet store.

glad your anthias came is well though, I like hearing stories like this. I am just waiting for a certain fish to come in and then I will be trying them out also.

Nothing but good things to say about BZ. Everything I've ordered from them over past three years (fish, coral, inverts) has arrived in excellent condition. Plus, you can call them to make changes to an order and speak to an actual human being who seems interested in helping. Or you can email them and get a prompt response.