PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from old Aqua Controller Jr?

NatureNerd
03/14/2014, 12:06 AM
Help please. I have been running my reef for years on an ACJr hooked up to a Direct Connect 8 and monitoring it with an old PC laptop. Over the years, I switched to all mac computers and I would love to get rid of the old laptop.

I control three pumps, a heater, a fan, and a fuge light. I monitor temp and pH. I really like having long term plots of both temp and pH. I want to see how conditions change month to month. Even comparing last year to this year.

What is the minimum, I would need to buy to keep all the functionality I have yet get rid of the PC? I would love to be able to check on the tank from my iPad. Will a AC lite do what I need? Can I use the same Dirrect Connect 8? Is there a way to use the new ACJr? What do you suggest?

NatureNerd
03/24/2014, 08:21 AM
Anyone with a recommendation?

morty
03/25/2014, 02:13 PM
The new Apex Jr. does not offer pH monitoring out of the box, you would have to buy a PM1 expansion module for $85 to add this. Also, the Jr. can't control older Direct Connect units, so you would only be able to control 4 outlets unless you purchased an additional Energy Bar (which replaced the DC units).

Neptune has discontinued the Apex Lite, so a standard Apex kit would be the best way to get the functionality you are looking for. It can also control your DC8, so you would be able to control 16 different outlets (because it comes with an EB8). It has an ethernet port so you would be able to monitor/control it from your iPad.

NatureNerd
03/26/2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks. That is what I expected but was hoping for a different (cheaper/easier) answer. Sounds like I will get the Standard Apex. I wanted to not have to replace or buy a redundant eight outlet box. I need to control 6 lines.

morty
03/26/2014, 10:14 PM
Alternatively you could search for a used ACIII on the forums or on Ebay. When I upgraded to an Apex I moved my ACIII to my frag tank and got a WiFi to ethernet adapter for $30, works like a charm. I can control it with both the AquaNotes app or the Apex app from my iPhone. (But the AquaNotes app is better if you want to make changes to the program.)