PDA

View Full Version : Sump or canister filter?

pbell101
03/15/2014, 08:31 PM
I have a 56 gallon, roughly cube shaped, tank that I hope to turn into a reef and fish tank. I have the lighting, but no filter. I was planning on putting in a sump with refugium, but the guy at a local pet store recommended a canister filter. He said they use an Aquatop CF500-UV. Is this a good option for a reef/fish tank? I think the canister filter will be cheaper in the short run, but I'm not sure about replacing its filters and such.

maddmaxx
03/15/2014, 08:41 PM
theres a search button that is EXTREMELY useful to newbies such as your self. highly recommend using it....

there are other ways to achieve filter equipment other then a canister filter, there are power filters like aqua clear, HOB skimmers, HOB fuges...

with that said. stay away from a canister filter. they are just BAD ideas. nitrate builds up way to fast if you dont clean them very regularly, which means money for the things that go into the canister.

sump is the best way to go over all. adds water volume = bonus
removes equipment from inside your tank other then power heads = bonus
can add more live rock to sump = bonus
can add a fuge = bonus
can add a skimmer = bonus
can add macro algae = bonus
etc etc etc

stay away from a canister filter, and plan the tank properly. again use the search button, and read the stickies at the top of the forum page...

maddmaxx
03/15/2014, 08:42 PM
question. what type of lights do you have since it seems like you may possibly add coral eventually?

tmz
03/15/2014, 08:53 PM
I use sumps fpr the main system and prefer them to canister filters which I use on one coral softie tank and some seahorse grow out tanks .

pbell101
03/15/2014, 09:49 PM
I've read many of the stickies, but I hadn't explored much of the search option. Thank you for pointing that out to me. I'm not much of a veteran to forums in general. It just confused that they'd recommend I use a canister filter. They had what appeared to be many thriving reef fish tanks using this canister filter.

As for my lights, they're 30" Metal Halide T5 Aquarium Light Reef Marine Coral 346W LED Bulb 250W Lamp.

maddmaxx
03/15/2014, 10:11 PM
I've read many of the stickies, but I hadn't explored much of the search option. Thank you for pointing that out to me. I'm not much of a veteran to forums in general. It just confused that they'd recommend I use a canister filter. They had what appeared to be many thriving reef fish tanks using this canister filter.

As for my lights, they're 30" Metal Halide T5 Aquarium Light Reef Marine Coral 346W LED Bulb 250W Lamp.

your lighting is fine...but the LFS will always try to sell you something. many many stories about canister filters causing problems. there better for freshwater tank (even then i dont like them), but a sump is just so much more beneficial over all. it highly out weighs the canister.....

an no worries on the help. glad i was able to. ive been with RC here for yrs now. and i almost 98% of the time, use the search button before i post a question. cause most likely the same question im goin to ask has been asked a million times. so just keep that in mind, its very useful...