PDA

View Full Version : Temp Phosphate Removal Options

PScoggin
03/16/2014, 08:11 AM
Greeting fellow reefers:

I have a question/am seeking opinions regarding the best "temporary" application of a phosphate removal in our existing (and soon-to-be-replaced) sump... We are soon (within the next few months) going to be replacing our existing W/D filer sump with a custom made EcoSystem-type sump which will include a separate media reactor for carbon/GFO.

In the mean time, however, we are also in the midst of fighting a hair algae outbreak and are in desperate need to find the most cost-effective yet efficient method of phosphate removal within our current filtration set-up.

As I see it, we have a couple of options:

(1) Place GFO (PhosBan, etc) in a mesh bag in the lower (media) drawer of the sump. While a more effective product (when used in a reactor as intended), this would also be less convenient as its placement here would necessitate removal/replacement of the bio balls at each change.

(2) Place GFO-impregnated filter pad in the top tray of the the sump (above or below the mechanical filer pad?). While more convenient, I am somewhat skeptical regarding its effectiveness at removing phosphates.

Any other options recommended or other thoughts as to pros-cons which I'm not taking into consideration?

Any opinions based on experience would be appreciated.

tkeracer619
03/16/2014, 08:47 AM
Get a TLF Phosban 150 reactor. A Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200. And some BulkReefSupply High Capacity GFO.

Here are recharge instructions for the media. This way you can hit it hard and not spend a fortune.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/10/chemistry