PDA

View Full Version : Chloroquin Phosphate

skjohn98
03/16/2014, 12:08 PM
Where can Chloroquin Phosphate be purchased, and if it is bought in pill form how is it measured for treatment of ick.

I see that it can be purchased from canada in pill form

Is it available in the states with out prescription?

TIA
John

snorvich
03/16/2014, 01:37 PM
There is a chloroquinine thread and I suggest it for this information. One of the difficulties of this drug is that many places require prescription and getting (nearly) pure drug without additives is problematic. I recommend it for amyloodinum as the most effective treatment if you can get the pure form.

Alberta-newb
03/17/2014, 01:13 PM
Just a quick response

Chloroquine phosphate is available by prescription in Canada or by purchasing it through mail. I've tried the Ebay stuff and didn't like it so I went to my vet and got a prescription for CP in pure form. Be prepared it is expensive here, $93 CDN for 25 gm but that amount will last quite some time. :)

Francis

tylersarah
03/17/2014, 05:37 PM
Yes, but doesn't it expire in a relatively short time frame? And I'm still not convinced it's a wonder drug.

snorvich
03/17/2014, 06:04 PM
Not a wonder drug, but very effective for oodinium (and possibly brook, although the literature does not support that yet). Very light sensitive, especially to UV.

Deinonych
03/17/2014, 06:45 PM
Yes, but doesn't it expire in a relatively short time frame? And I'm still not convinced it's a wonder drug.

It is stable in solution as long as it is not exposed to strong light sources. Common consensus is to not run aquarium lights while dosing. Ambient room light seems to be fine. Definitely not a wonder drug, but it is much easier on fish and only needs to be dosed once.

ca1ore
03/17/2014, 08:06 PM

Sorry, did you mean short shelf life as an un-dosed powder or not lasting once the stuff is in the tank water?

tylersarah
03/18/2014, 05:08 AM
I'm speaking of short shelf life relative to other meds, especially when you have to buy it in bulk. I suppose that's why it's for sale all over eBay.

Deinonych
03/18/2014, 05:55 AM
I'm speaking of short shelf life relative to other meds, especially when you have to buy it in bulk. I suppose that's why it's for sale all over eBay.

I'm not sure that is accurate. I have some that I had filled at a pharmacy late last year, and it does not expire until July 2015 according to the pharmacist.

snorvich
03/18/2014, 08:06 AM

Well, no, not really. It is for sale all over Ebay because it is normally sold in 1kg amounts because the primary sellers are not intending to sell to end users.

As long as it is not exposed to light, specifically UV, it should be fine for a year or two.

MrTuskfish
03/18/2014, 11:35 AM
I get the feeling that some e-Bay sellers may be diluting CP.

I get my CP from a druggist who also talks to a vet. I don't remember the price, but it was reasonable and can be bought in small quanities. . I just talked to them and its okay if I post their number. 610-357-0336. FWIW: AlPrazo wrote the directions on the container that this druggist sells.

asonitez
03/18/2014, 11:52 AM
Choloroquine Phosphate can be purchased on National Fish Pharmaceuticals website.

MrTuskfish
03/18/2014, 12:55 PM
Choloroquine Phosphate can be purchased on National Fish Pharmaceuticals website.

The NFP site has always sold quinine sulfate, a close relative of CP that they market as Crypto-Pro. CP is easier on fish and stays in suspension longer (according to a Chemist/expert reefer). But I looked and still can't find CP. What am I missing?

snorvich
03/18/2014, 01:10 PM
I get the feeling that some e-Bay sellers may be diluting CP.

The issue is that some suppliers (I will not mention names, read the CP thread) may provide CP that has filler and does not work as alprazo specied.

Deinonych
03/18/2014, 03:19 PM

NFP only sells Quinine Sulfate, not CP.

snorvich
03/18/2014, 04:14 PM
NFP only sells Quinine Sulfate, not CP.

Which is not a drug I can recommend.