PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-eyed Kole tang morph/variant?

PurpleTilefish
03/17/2014, 02:48 AM
Okay what is up with this guy's pattern, I know it's a Yellow-eyed Kole tang but every other one of these I have ever seen always has stripes not little spots like this. He was the same price as the others when I bought him but was the only one that looked like this, that's why I got him. Was just wondering who else has seen or owns one like this and if mine is unique or not, and if so, how rare are they in this form? I've literally seen hundreds of Kole tangs in every major LFS within a 50 mile radius of Chicago and they all look the same except this one, I'm wondering where the hell this one comes from and where I can buy another just like him if I wanted. Thanks in advance.

Reefer54
03/17/2014, 02:50 AM
oh yeah, and go Cubs.

you shoppin at Old Town per chance....me ol stompin grounds.

PurpleTilefish
03/17/2014, 02:57 AM
I went there once but it was during my initial cycle so I couldn't buy anything. Out of all that I've been to my favs are Chicago Fish and Coral (Tinley Park), Beyond the Reef (Hoffman Estates), and Coral Reef Pet Center (Norridge). Coral Reef has most of my money just because they are the most local to me, have the lowest prices, and a decent (though not amazing) selection.

crissie
03/17/2014, 04:41 AM
This isn't actually a Kole Tang (C. strigosus) it's a Gold Ring Bristletooth/Spotted Yellow-eyed Tang (C. truncatus) The two species are very similar - the main difference being spots or stripes. It comes in a range of colour variations (I used to have one that was pale orange with green fin tips, very attractive fish) and is pretty common around the Indian Ocean and Christmas Islands. Probably other places too but those two stuck in my mind.

SammyL
03/17/2014, 05:25 AM
Mine also has spots but they are linear.

So is this a true Kole or a Bristletooth?

breederforlife
03/17/2014, 07:03 AM

looks like a true kole tang to me

SammyL
03/17/2014, 07:31 AM
looks like a true kole tang to me

Ok, thank you.

Marshall O
03/17/2014, 07:32 AM
This isn't actually a Kole Tang (C. strigosus) it's a Gold Ring Bristletooth/Spotted Yellow-eyed Tang (C. truncatus) The two species are very similar - the main difference being spots or stripes. It comes in a range of colour variations (I used to have one that was pale orange with green fin tips, very attractive fish) and is pretty common around the Indian Ocean and Christmas Islands. Probably other places too but those two stuck in my mind.

Correct, and the tail is another way to differentiate. C. strigosus has pointed ends, where as the C. truncatus (aka Squaretail) lacks the pronounced points. There are some variations of C. strigosus that are far more spotted than the usual lined variations that most think of (regional difference), however not to the extent of C. truncatus IIRC.

Marshall O
03/17/2014, 07:34 AM
Mine also has spots but they are linear.

As noted, yours is a Kole Tang, C. strigosus. But this and the C. truncatus are both members of the "Bristletooth" family of Tangs, so just be careful how you refer to one or the other as you may confuse people :)

PurpleTilefish
03/17/2014, 08:56 AM
Oh okay, never knew that, so the two are actually different species just similar, makes sense. Thanks!