PDA

View Full Version : Questions on treating ich with hypo

TheAquatect
03/17/2014, 02:08 PM
So I discovered ich in my DT and now need to go through the process of catching all my fish and leaving the DT fallow. I have a 75 gallon I am setting up now without sand and a few pvc tubes for hiding. I've been reading up on all the articles around hypo but, as expected there are some vague/conflicting facts I could use some clarification on.

1. Can you move the fish from 1.026 directly into 1.009 SG water OR is it best to lower the salinity over a period of time. And if so, what is that period of time?

2. Is 8 weeks an appropriate amount of time to keep the fish in hypo and DT fallow? I've read 5-8 weeks in various threads.

3. Can I use some of the live rock out of my DT to help seed the hypo tank? I don't care if I have to dispose of it/dry it out afterwards, I just want to avoid my fish suffering from Ammonia poisoning/massive water changes to dilute it, while I cure their ich. :)

Appreciate the help!!

snorvich
03/17/2014, 02:45 PM
So I discovered ich in my DT and now need to go through the process of catching all my fish and leaving the DT fallow. I have a 75 gallon I am setting up now without sand and a few pvc tubes for hiding. I've been reading up on all the articles around hypo but, as expected there are some vague/conflicting facts I could use some clarification on.

1. Can you move the fish from 1.026 directly into 1.009 SG water OR is it best to lower the salinity over a period of time. And if so, what is that period of time? Bring it down over about a 24 hour period at little at a time using a calibrated refractometer; going up has to be very slow, about 0.002 per day

2. Is 8 weeks an appropriate amount of time to keep the fish in hypo and DT fallow? I've read 5-8 weeks in various threads.

Fallow period should be 9 weeks or for absolute certainty, 12 weeks and treatment the same

3. Can I use some of the live rock out of my DT to help seed the hypo tank? I don't care if I have to dispose of it/dry it out afterwards, I just want to avoid my fish suffering from Ammonia poisoning/massive water changes to dilute it, while I cure their ich. :) hypo will kill whatever is on the live rock

Appreciate the help!!

While fallow period should be at least 9 weeks, the most reliable way of eliminating ich is tank transfer which is 12 days

TheAquatect
03/17/2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks!!! I'll shoot for 12 weeks. One last question I forgot to ask on refractometer calibration; do you calibrate to 0 using ro/di or the normal 35ppm?

snorvich
03/17/2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks!!! I'll shoot for 12 weeks. One last question I forgot to ask on refractometer calibration; do you calibrate to 0 using ro/di or the normal 35ppm?

Calibrate with calibration fluid to the normal 35ppm