PDA

View Full Version : Prodibio,still film algae

rtague
03/17/2014, 06:28 PM
On my 5th week of dosing bio digest and bioptim,1dose each on a 75 g tank ,80 lbs of lr,3 months old. Phosphate has dropped from off the chart to.04 (Hanna checker),but I still have to clean the glass every other day,a lot of dusty algae.When can I expect this algae to clear up?.I'm due to start dosing reef booster next week,but I understand the tank needs to be low nutrient system before dosing reef booster otherwise your just feeding the algae,please advise,hope its is the right forum,lol.

rtague
03/18/2014, 09:44 AM
Anyone?

bertoni
03/18/2014, 03:06 PM
I haven't used those products, and we don't know what's in them, so it's hard to say much.

rtague
03/18/2014, 04:07 PM
Thank you I appreciate the reply

bertoni
03/18/2014, 05:12 PM
You're welcome. I"m sorry that I couldn't help.

rtague
03/19/2014, 09:01 AM
Np.

freezetyle
03/19/2014, 09:27 AM
if you saw that much of an improvement i would give it another few weeks. it could be a bacterial buildup from the excess nutrients, as you tank settles with the changes it could go away.

tmz
03/19/2014, 09:40 AM
I too do not use those products and don't personally favor 0 PO4 and/or NO3 as goals . Without knowing what's in them using them requires trust in the manufacturer . Perhaps they can help with the question.

marke
03/19/2014, 01:09 PM
I have been looking for people who have had success with probidio. Keep us posted on your experiment. From what I have read. Your on the right track. You have introduced bacteria with one of those solutions and you are feeding them with the other. The algae your referring to. What color is it? Sounds like bacteria growth which is good. Show us a pic? As for our resident scientist I think they favor feeding bacteria with vinager which is cheaper than probidio and you know what it is exactly. I think adding bacteria is good initially on a new system but an established tank has free resident bacteria that will reproduce and grow as you feed vinager or biotin. I am interested in learning more about probidio and the zeo products. But if it's only a carbon source, bacteria in a bottle,and amino acids once you get to a low nutrient level, then maybe using vinager only until you reach your desired phosphate level than reducing to a maintance level should accomplish the same thing cheaper. But if someone can swear by and explain these products and their benefits. I would consider using them.

tmz
03/19/2014, 05:08 PM
Many like vinegar. I like vinegar and vodka with indigenous viable bacteria to do the work.Personally, I don't like guessing about what I'm dosing.Some folks like the so called ultra low nutrient systems like zeo and prodibio. There are many testimonials and lots of marketting but little hard information and no data of which I am aware despite extensive reading on them. I like to keep some nitrogen and phosphate around.

rtague
03/20/2014, 04:07 PM
I have been looking for people who have had success with probidio. Keep us posted on your experiment. From what I have read. Your on the right track. You have introduced bacteria with one of those solutions and you are feeding them with the other. The algae your referring to. What color is it? Sounds like bacteria growth which is good. Show us a pic? As for our resident scientist I think they favor feeding bacteria with vinager which is cheaper than probidio and you know what it is exactly. I think adding bacteria is good initially on a new system but an established tank has free resident bacteria that will reproduce and grow as you feed vinager or biotin. I am interested in learning more about probidio and the zeo products. But if it's only a carbon source, bacteria in a bottle,and amino acids once you get to a low nutrient level, then maybe using vinager only until you reach your desired phosphate level than reducing to a maintance level should accomplish the same thing cheaper. But if someone can swear by and explain these products and their benefits. I would consider using them.
The algae I have on the glass is light brown,it comes off like dust when I wipe it,pretty new to the game ,I wish I could be of more help.Like I said,after dosing for 5 weeks phosphate has gone from very high levels,.2 and over to .04 nitrate undetectable using Hanna checker,salifert,so something is working,any thoughts?.

Braver69
03/20/2014, 07:08 PM
Could be diatoms since you say it's brown, but even with perfect numbers you will always be cleaning the glass, usually every 3 days to once a week.

nicholasb
03/21/2014, 12:18 AM
Some film algaes can survive on much lower phosphate levels than 0.04, but I can't see why you would have so much, with phosphates that low. I can only guess that your test is wrong. The algae may suck out most of the phosphates and die off, but it may take time. Try taking a sample of water down the lfs for a test.

trzabka
03/21/2014, 04:44 PM
sometimes the phosphates and nitrates can be used up feeding the algea growth giving a somewhat flase reading on nitrates and phosphate test. try testing it in the morning befor your light comes on then again befor your light goes off. This will give you a idea of how much nutrients you still have in your system. And you have to be casrefull with the NO3 PO4 vodka/ vinager doesing your dont completly want your nitrates to disapear some corals rely on some nitrates in the water. But i would imagine as someone else said give it a few more weeks you will start to see some results as the algea starts to die off from lack of nutriants

bertoni
03/21/2014, 06:19 PM
The phosphate level might be low because the microbes are consuming it as quickly as it's released.

Adrnalnrsh
03/22/2014, 09:05 AM
Sounds like diatoms unless it starts to grow out and get long like hair algae. Ive read somewhere that diatoms from Prodibio were common.