PDA

View Full Version : A tank cycle question...

Sgt Jonny Cat
03/18/2014, 09:56 AM
Ok everyone, I'm new to this hoby, and have just set up my 55 gal tank I plan on having mixed reef/fish. I have live rock live sand and a Fluval 406 canister filter hooked up and tomorow will be 2 weeks.

Last week I added a bottle of "Fritz Zyme" bacteria to help kick start my nitrogen cycle after the advice of my LFS. I have 2 raw shrimp in the tank, and test the water daily. The amonia level only went as high as 0.25, and now shows 0. Nitrate is showing 20-40, and nitrite is showing 0. PH and alk are good, and I am wondering if my tank is cycled or should I wait a bit longer?

Also is there a good all in one test kit for amonia, nitrite, nitrate etc? Or should I buy a kit for each one? Thanks again

cloak
03/18/2014, 10:49 AM
Me personally, I would wait another week or so before adding any livestock. As far as test kits go, you'll have to buy individual test kits for everything. For ammonia & nitrite though, you can probably skip these, since you really shouldn't have to use them again. For nitrate, calcium, magnesium, pH, & KH, API test kits are pretty popular, but kits like Salifert are much more reliable.