PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Advice

27Driver
03/18/2014, 07:33 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of redecorating my den/aquarium room and I'm considering relocating the tank. This gives me the opportunity to start fresh, with the benefit of the lessons learned from my first salty tank. The features I'm looking for are:

- 36 Inch wide tank (40-65 Gallons I'd guess)

- Rectangular shape, a cube wouldn't work for the room, and scraping the glass on my bow is a PITA

- Built-in overflow
- Stand capable of holding a sump for a skimmer, possible fuge, etc.

I inquired at my LFS, but the owner insisted that this would require a drilling the aquarium, custom stand, etc. He told me that I'd be just as well off with a cannister filter (which I have, and aren't crazy about) and that small tanks really don't benefit from sumps and skimmers. I'm taking this information with a huge grain of salt of course.

After a little more research, I'm considering an Aqueon 65 Reef Ready or the Marineland 65 Corner-flo, with some type of commercial stand (I saw a SeaPora one that would hold a good sized sump). I have three basic questions about my plan:

1. Am I correct in thinking the LFS guy was totally out to lunch?

2. Are the Aqueon and Marineland tanks good choices for what I'm planning and, if so, what's a fair price to pay for one new?

3. The reason I mentioned the SeaPora stand is that it's reasonably priced and doesn't have a centre brace, so lot's of room for a sump. Will this stand be strong enough over the long run?

Any and all opinions, advice and help are greatly appreciated.

27Driver

ReeferBill
03/18/2014, 07:46 PM
My LFS Coral Sea Aquarium says the best all in one set up is made by Red Sea . The smallest is a 65 gallon includes everything you need for a successful reef , you can concentrate on stocking and do not have to worry about what equipment to get ....

27Driver
03/18/2014, 08:09 PM
The Red Sea tanks are nice, but the $2000+ price tag is a little rich for my blood.

hersheyb
03/18/2014, 08:31 PM
If u want it done right, I d say go for custom tank

houstonhobby
03/18/2014, 08:34 PM
1) a canister filter is for freshwater and is s definite pita for salt water. I am speaking from personal experience here. I was a planted tank person and ended up with a bunch of fluval fx5s, which my LFS encouraged me to use for my marine tank. Bad idea. The fluvals would put out a lot of micro bubbles when they got dirty. I would come home every few days to a tank full of bubbles. Looks ugly and is dangerous for the fish.

2) if you are using a canister and you want to switch to a sump your first thought is to go with an overflow. Also bad idea. An overflow depends upon an aqua lifter to keep the air out, and the lifter WILL fail. When, not if, that happens, all your system water will be pumped onto the floor unless you happen to be there when it happens, ruining both the floor and the system.

3) so for a reef tank a drilled tank is the only real option. Having gone thru all three stages myself over the past six months in transitioning from fresh to salt, all I will say is, the less time you spend on the intermediate steps the happier your life will be.