PDA

View Full Version : ID and advice (pest anemone?)

NatureNerd
03/18/2014, 09:17 PM
Can anyone ID this for me. I noticed a few of these about a month ago, and now they have taken over the bottom of a large rock. I am worried they will start spreading over everything. The rock they are on has a monti and an acro on it, fully encrusted and growing well. Any advice? Sorry the picture is not better but they are living in the shade under a lot of rock and coral.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/JJohn_photos/BlueAnemones_zpsc7f281bd.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/JJohn_photos/media/BlueAnemones_zpsc7f281bd.jpg.html)

Misled
03/18/2014, 09:44 PM
Do you mean the mushrooms???

NatureNerd
03/18/2014, 10:32 PM
They are some type of mushroom, yes. They are spreading amazingly fast. My fear is that they will soon cover the rock. I have no idea where they came from. I want my encrusting monti to keep spreading. These mushrooms will compete for the same surface area. How can I slow their spread? Do I just attempt to physically pull them off the rock?

I don't mind a few of them. They are fairly attractive. I just don't want them to take over.

Sn8kbyt
03/19/2014, 01:26 AM
Not to poke fun at your worry but many would kill for your problem.

My suggestion would be to frag them and sell them if you feel you have to many?

robotman
03/19/2014, 01:45 AM
those are some pretty mushrooms

reefermike1
03/19/2014, 03:50 PM
Shrooms and palys, when given the right conditions can spred pretty fast. Usually they only spread to a point that the conditions change, like a spot with different light or flow intensity. I doubt if they will ever compete with your monties, because they usually prefer less light and flow and simply wont spread in that direction.

NatureNerd
03/19/2014, 08:15 PM
Shrooms and palys, when given the right conditions can spred pretty fast. Usually they only spread to a point that the conditions change, like a spot with different light or flow intensity. I doubt if they will ever compete with your monties, because they usually prefer less light and flow and simply wont spread in that direction.

Thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear. From one head to 30 or so in a month is pretty un-nerving. They are growing in a low-light area. Perhaps the rate of expansion will slow once they hit the bright sections.