PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with Lights for a nano reef

JammyBirch
03/19/2014, 12:43 PM
I'm new to this hobby and just bought a 25 gallon cube tank 18" deep. I was interested in the Current Orbit programmable light for the tank however it dosn't seem to get great reviews from people on the forum so i'm wondering if there is something else out there...

The nice part about the Orbit was the package deal that is programmable...not enough light is what i keep reading for some corals and especially anemones... The price was right too...

What are my options and/or alternatives? Any help wold be appreciated.

JRR1285
03/19/2014, 12:55 PM
What are the dimensions for the tank? A small LED fixture would probably be ideal. Does it need to be programmable or is that a bonus?

The current orbit looks like a nice light if you are going to be sticking to softies and some lower light LPS. It looks like it is too weak for an anemone especially with your water depth.

I would look at the Ocean Revive S026, I have one over my 40 Breeder and it is doing great. Ocean revive also has the T247 which is a timed version of the S026. You could also look at the Reef Breeder photon series if you want controllable.

Edit: There is also the evergrow lights like the D120 as well as other "eBay fixtures". They also work for many people just fine.

NWoods
03/19/2014, 01:33 PM
What are you planning on keeping in there? SPS, LPS, fish, anenomes, all of the above?

LED's are nice and energy efficient, however usually not enough output for corals. Metal Halides will more than likely get you the light you need for corals and anenomes. Even the 3W LED's is barely enough for some SPS corals. With the 25G cube, you might be ok with 3W LED's. Anything over 10,000k is good. If doing corals, I would go for anything over 15,000k.

Both corals and anenomes need to have a well established tank in-order to do well (over a year) from what I have heard and read. They both need pristine water conditions.

Just my $.02

JammyBirch
03/19/2014, 03:27 PM
I'm interested in all types of coral and fish suitable for the tank size...an anemone is an eventual must...so says my wife. I'm looking at the reef breeder value light...seems to get good reviews what are your opinions?

JRR1285
03/19/2014, 04:06 PM
What are you planning on keeping in there? SPS, LPS, fish, anenomes, all of the above?

LED's are nice and energy efficient, however usually not enough output for corals. Metal Halides will more than likely get you the light you need for corals and anenomes. Even the 3W LED's is barely enough for some SPS corals. With the 25G cube, you might be ok with 3W LED's. Anything over 10,000k is good. If doing corals, I would go for anything over 15,000k.

Both corals and anenomes need to have a well established tank in-order to do well (over a year) from what I have heard and read. They both need pristine water conditions.

Just my $.02

I just want to clarify that fixtures with 3W LED's are more than adequate for growing any coral. What you are going to discover if you read a ton of threads and do a bunch of research is that you will find a pretty big divide between reefers about LED lighting. Some hate it and some praise it saying it is the end all.

You will find some that have had great success using them and some that have nuked their entire tank with other accounts falling anywhere in between. My personal experience has been that LED's are more than adequate for the corals and anemones in my tank. I have been having great growth from some of the better growing SPS frags in my tank under the S026 fixture I have been using since November. I have been considering supplementing it with another fixture, perhaps T5 or another LED fixture to give me a wider spread of intense lighting, but for now it's great. The new trend has been combining the great color production of T5's with the shimmer of LED's providing a high power and lower heat option that will work great for some reefers.

I will say one of the bigger concerns about LED lighting is how directional it is and the hard shadows it can/will create. You can have die-off spots on SPS colonies from this. I have not personally observed this because I do not have large SPS colonies.

I'm interested in all types of coral and fish suitable for the tank size...an anemone is an eventual must...so says my wife. I'm looking at the reef breeder value light...seems to get good reviews what are your opinions?

In my opinion that would be a great light for your setup. It's the same as the Evergrow D120 that many people have had great success with. Reef Breeders has simply rebranded it and possibly tweaked the spectrum though I am not 100% positive about the adjusted spectrum.

JRR1285
03/19/2014, 04:18 PM
Here is a link to a thread on the lights you are interested in. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2256795&highlight=chinese+led)

They are also a vendor on this forum, this text is the link to that. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=703)

Looks as though there is a group buy in effect so you might have lucked out if you choose to go that route.

Good luck with whatever you choose and I hope I was able to give you some useful information.

Giants206
03/19/2014, 04:33 PM
Kessil A360W

JammyBirch
03/20/2014, 06:43 PM
I think the reefbreeder value is for me...reviews are very good for this fixture.

Question about circ pumps or wave makers... How many do you think I will need? Originally was going to get 1 Koralia 425...did some research on here...sounds like wave is the way to go... Still could go with Koralia, with 1 pump and the controller $75...pretty nice price with 2 pumps $100...still not bad.

Read bunch about the jeboa wp10... Looks awesome reviews are great...$160 for one with controller. I know it has the power, YouTube...is it that much better?

JRR1285
03/20/2014, 06:50 PM
Jebao wp10 is what I would recommend. You sure 160 is not a price for two? My wp25 was only like 80.

Anyway reefbreeders is offering them discounted as well in their sponsor forum. There's a discount code there. I love my wp25.

JRR1285
03/20/2014, 06:56 PM
Here is the link.

http://reefbreeders.com/wave-makers/

It is 69.99 and there is code in their sponsor forum like I mentioned in my previous post.

JammyBirch
03/20/2014, 07:05 PM
Jebao wp10 is what I would recommend. You sure 160 is not a price for two? My wp25 was only like 80.

Anyway reefbreeders is offering them discounted as well in their sponsor forum. There's a discount code there. I love my wp25.

Ya man I was way off...$70 I am looking at so much equipment I'm losing my mind...lol. So fun though. I won't be able to buy from the forum buy because of the time...thank you for the great info thus far. I'm looking forward to picking your brain in the future...

Right now I have the tank in hand, SCA301 skimmer will be here Saturday. Have designed and planning a custom sump/fuge in the near future. The stand is a month out due to distributor shipment schedule. Heater, not worried, probably go with the WP10, wave maker. Got a Laguna power head return pump from my buddy...

Once all of this stuff is built, plumbed, wired and assembled...the real fun begins. A buddy of mine has a new 120g build going on, we'll split up rock and sand order...then it's cycle time, livestock and a double shot of bourbon while watching my awesome tank.

JRR1285
03/20/2014, 07:13 PM
Sounds great. It's good to see you're taking your time and doing your research. Keep asking questions and I'm sure you'll get the answers from either myself or the other great members here. I also have an SCA skimmer. It's the 302 and works very well.

JammyBirch
03/21/2014, 05:48 PM
I'm in a holding pattern right now...waiting for the acrylic cement to get here...got some practicing to do so that I'll have confidence in the sump. I have a good handle on the equipment to this point. Been learning about what I can stock in my DT for a beginner to establish a good tank. Really want to get a nice pair of clowns and an anemone, daughter and wife will love it I'm sure... I think it's best to get some other corals and fish first though make sure I can do this and do it well.

There will be questions in the near future...bet on that.