PDA

View Full Version : Equipment advice

Bgcoop8784
03/19/2014, 07:37 PM
My build is almost finished, other than wrapping the stand and canopy (i'm going to let it run for a while with everything being easily accessible before I wrap it with wood to make sure there are no drastic changes needed). I am looking for some equipment suggestions. For those of you who haven't seen my build, 60 gallon cube and a 120 gallon in a peninsula styled wall with a 90 gallon sump. I am running 2 1350gph submersible pumps with each getting around 1000gph to the displays before I turned them down a little. I'm happy with my powerheads and placement, two hydors in the 60 gallon which are about to be swapped out for wp-25s, and two cobalt neo-flow 10,000s in the 120 gallon, so I don't need powerheads right now. 3 ViaAqua titanium heaters that I'm happy with for now. My lighting is on the way for the 120 and I have a DIY arduino controlled cree fixture for the 60 gallon. My water params are great right now. I have a DIY dual float switch ATO that works great. Protein skimmer works great that I have now, SCA-302, and I have a brs 4 stage value plus ro/di unit with 2 32 gallon brute cans and a 15 gallon drum for storage and salt mixing with plenty of extra heaters and small powerheads just for this. I don't have a frag tank yet, but I have a spare 29 gallon with some rapid led par38s in case I want to add it on with truly an unlimited amount of .220" and .150" acrylic for shelving. Is there anything that I'm missing? I can think of a million things I'd like to buy, but narrowing it down is the hard part. Thinking about a BRS GFO and Carbon reactor, even though I don't need it right now, I'm trying to think for the future. If there are any suggestions for equipment I'd like to know now, seeing as I have a baby due in Augusta, I'd like to go ahead and buy now...while I still can, lol.

Crusinjimbo
03/20/2014, 05:24 AM
The GFO/GAC reactor from BRS is an excellent piece of equipment that will help keep PO4 in check. You may want to consider an ATS. Having gone through the setup/mod/dial-in for my ATS I can say it would have been easier to setup during my initial setup than after because of space and placement considerations. Just a thought.

downbeach
03/20/2014, 06:55 AM
I agree with Jimbo, on the BRS reactors, I would get one each for GAC and GFO. I would also recommend the use of ROX 0.8 GAC, and the HC GFO when you find you need it. It's my experience that you don't need to use the supplied ball valve if you use the Cobalt MJ400 for the pumps if you aren't using a manifold. Also best to run the GAC with the pump on the output side of the reactor to prevent as much movement of the media as possible.

thegrun
03/20/2014, 07:22 AM
Besides the reactors (also my first choice) if you plan on keeping hard corals or clams start thinking about either a two part doser or a calcium reactor. You are kind of on what I would consider the tipping point as far as which way to go, reactor or dosing with two part. If you haven't done so research both before making a purchase. I think I would lean slightly towards two part for your system for simplicity sake, but the calcium reactor is a strong contender.

Bgcoop8784
03/20/2014, 11:20 AM
Ok, so ordering the brs GAC and GFO reactors today. I have an ATS that I was running in my sump on the 60 cube before I moved it over, I may use it, not sure if I want the extra lights in my sump yet. Thanks for the replies, anything else?. Oh and I think I'll two part dose when the time comes, and after I get a feel for how much I'm using, I may swap over to a reactor.