PDA

View Full Version : 1450 ml of Alk in 24 hrs

jm23
03/20/2014, 12:43 AM
I have read all the articles by Randy and searched the forums for any ideas that might explain what is going on with my tank but I am baffled. 10 weeks ago I restarted my 265 gallon DT and 80 gallon FT with new Dry Rock and Sand. Before the restart I was dosing about 144 ml of each part a day (using dosers 24x a day via Apex), I lost quite a few SPS to AEFW (thus the restart) so my coral load is much less now. For the last several weeks I have had the hardest time keeping my levels stable. Last night I decided to not dose for 24 hrs and see what the consumption on the tank was and try and figure this problem out. Well within 2 hrs my Alk dropped 1 dkh to 7.0, so I dosed Alk to get it back up and 2 hrs later same deal. In the last 22 hrs I have added 1450 ml of the Alk portion of BRS 2 Part and have been unable to keep my Alk from dropping to the low 7's. My calcium last night was 480 (a little too high) and magnesium 1550 using red sea test kits. I just tested again and my Alk was 7.0, Cal 420, and Mag 1440. I haven't dosed Cal or Mag in 22 hrs only Alk to keep it above 7 dkh.

Any ideas? I am exhausted trying to keep these parameters stable. Thankfully all my corals are growing great and coloring up despite this issue. Coralline is growing and starting to cover the rocks. I have film algae on the glass and covering the rocks as well, only a little hair algae. My only idea is the new rocks and sand, but I have been dosing this heavily for the last couple weeks. Thanks in advance.

Marcsreef
03/20/2014, 03:26 PM
Aaaaaah same problems hope someone can help

bertoni
03/20/2014, 05:44 PM
I'd probably start dosing baking soda dissolved in water, for the time being, and dose into the main tank. I suspect that most of the supplement is precipitating. You could check for signs of that on heater, inside pumps, and perhaps tubing.

nicholasb
03/21/2014, 12:29 AM
Every time you drop 1 d.k.h you will only drop 6 ppm calcium. If you have realy lost 60ppm cal, this would = a los of 10 dkh!!!. May be one of your test kits is wrong. Try cheaking your levels down at your local fish store. If your mag was out this would explain things. If your cal was 500+ this would also cause the same problem.