PDA

View Full Version : how would you acclimate???

troylong45
03/20/2014, 09:22 PM
So im sure this will help other gather info on adding new items to there tank please only note how you would acclimate fish, inverts, anemones's,corals ect. And live, dead, and dry rock (not dead rock but like the white sun bleached rock) how would you prepare it.

Please no dogging on any ones methods just add how you would do it and why. Please include if its a drip method how many drips per second how long. Or if its just float and scoop. Or even float and release.

And note whether you do it for everything or certain ways for specific things.

Reefahholic
03/20/2014, 10:47 PM
I drip acclimate everything. usually from 20 minutes to over 1 Hr depending on the animal.

I use small piece of airline tube and drip in 5 gallon salt bucket or any container. I just tie a knot in the airline tubing and pull it tight. The tighter you pull the knot, the slower the drip rate.

easy as pie.

Calappidae
03/20/2014, 10:54 PM
Depending on the situation.. I match the temperture by floating the bag for 30 minutes.. and if the salinity is matched plop them in.

When you open the bag the change in oxygen causes Ph goes haywire and ammonia gets even more toxic. Not to mention the tramatizing experience the fish are still going through during the process releasing even more ammonia.. the sooner in the better.. however they're still sensitive marine animals so I like to scoop water in and out of the bag for atleast a minute or two so it's not so sudden.

However with animals like echinoderms and delicate corals I like to give a little bit more effort.. a little.. ;)

faithenfire
03/21/2014, 05:26 AM
i float the bag when possible, or put it in a tupperware and float that and add water a little bit every ten min

Art13
03/21/2014, 05:39 AM
I agree with calap on the ammonia, I used to drip acclimate everything, i only do that now for things i picked up locally for fish and inverts. even then as long as temp and and ph are the same, its not for a long time. Corals, i know where my supplier keeps his params so i make sure they match, temp acclimate, dip in coral rx mixed with tank water for 10 minutes, and toss them into the tank. Anything by mail i match salinity, float for 15 minutes, and toss in. The ones by mail are where you need to watch for ammonia spikes, not so much if your local store is 30 minutes away.

Spyderturbo007
03/21/2014, 06:04 AM
Fish:

I match the salinity in the QT with the water in the bag, float the bag for 20 minutes so the temperatures match and drop in the fish. Then raise the salinity to match the DT over the course of about 2 - 3 weeks.

Corals:

Dip in CoralRx according to the directions, inspect carefully, rinse in fresh saltwater and drop in the tank.

rlm2005
03/21/2014, 08:50 AM
fish:

I match the salinity in the qt with the water in the bag, float the bag for 20 minutes so the temperatures match and drop in the fish. Then raise the salinity to match the dt over the course of about 2 - 3 weeks.

Corals:

Dip in coralrx according to the directions, inspect carefully, rinse in fresh saltwater and drop in the tank.

+1

bellis31
03/21/2014, 09:00 AM
Fish:

I match the salinity in the QT with the water in the bag, float the bag for 20 minutes so the temperatures match and drop in the fish. Then raise the salinity to match the DT over the course of about 2 - 3 weeks.

Corals:

Dip in CoralRx according to the directions, inspect carefully, rinse in fresh saltwater and drop in the tank.

I pretty much do this....^^