PDA

View Full Version : skimmer weirdness

Sk8r
03/21/2014, 12:03 AM
After behaving beautifully for 2 months [newish, post set-up] a Marineland skimmer has started skimming wet and overflowing madly.

This may be more a biochem than a chem question, but is it possible rising ambient temperature, maturity of the skimmer-installation, or what-in-all-creation is causing this sudden problem?

Anyone have a clue?

pscott99
03/21/2014, 09:13 AM
After behaving beautifully for 2 months [newish, post set-up] a Marineland skimmer has started skimming wet and overflowing madly.

This may be more a biochem than a chem question, but is it possible rising ambient temperature, maturity of the skimmer-installation, or what-in-all-creation is causing this sudden problem?

Anyone have a clue?

Something stuck in an air line ? Can you adjust for it ?

reeftivo
03/21/2014, 01:08 PM
I'm not really familiar with that brand but like pscott questioned, carbonate build up may have accumulated over time in the venturi at the volute. I would suggest trying something easy first.

if you have those little nipples by the flow control and you can put some airline tubing over them then put the tubing in a cup of hot RO water while the skimmer is running. If you dont have tubing you can use hot water in a syringe or pipette and just squirt it down the tube. If the venturi is obstructed with build up, it should loosen it and settle down the skimmer. Ideally you should disassemble the volute cover, then inspect and clean it with some dilute vinegar and a brush but hot water should help in the interim.

Sk8r
03/21/2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks very much, guys! I'll take a look at that!

bertoni
03/21/2014, 01:32 PM
If cleaning doesn't work, maybe something spawned?