PDA

View Full Version : Multiple skimmers

Whystler
03/21/2014, 07:28 AM
:deadhorse:

OK... I am bringing back the Multiple skimmer question and looking for some advice.

I have recently upgraded from a 55G to a 125G tank. The skimmer i was using on the 55G tank was a AquaMaxx HOB-1 Protein Skimmer.

My new 125G will make it very difficult to incorporate a sump. I have been using the Aquamaxx on the tank. It is producing a TON of skimmate and has to be emptied everyday religiously.

My question is could i purchase another AquaMaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer and place it on the opposite side of the tank and help out the currently undersized and overworked one Or would i be better off going with a higher end HOB skimmer that can truly handle a 125 Gallon tank?

Everything i read about multiple skimmers here references oversized skimmers for the tanks. I believe my situation is different becuase both skimmers are undersized but combined should be sufficient espiecally if placed >5 feet from each other.

Thanks for your responses and opinions.

Dmorty217
03/21/2014, 07:44 AM
The problem you will run into is that two undersized skimmers will not skim the same volume of water that a skimmer rated for your tank will. For example two skimmers rated for 55g won't skim a total of 110g worth of a tank, each one will do 55g and a lot of what has already been skimmed will be skimmed again, so it isn't the same as one larger rated skimmer. People also run into this problem with their sumps, if your sump has 1200g going thru it a hr lets say but the skimmer can only handle a 300g tank, only a fraction of the 1200gph going thru the sump is skimmed