PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on tank upgrade.

Comedy Fish
03/21/2014, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, I was just curious as if I could get some help. My wife and I are moving next week and I am going to be upgrading my tank, since I have to take it down anyway. I currently have a 40breeder reef. I am thinking anything 75g or larger. I have found some great deals on Craigslist. One in particular is sticking out in my mind. Could I get some feedback on this one?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/for/4362519389.html

Does this seem like a good deal? Should I be trying to find someone selling their whole setup? Should I just try to find a used tank and buy equipment for it over time? I really want to keep tangs. Thank you :)

mx51
03/21/2014, 08:05 PM
For $350 I think that's a pretty good price and 150 gallons is a good size tank.If I were you I would buy it...

Comedy Fish
03/21/2014, 08:28 PM
Actually he said he would come down to $275. Includes 50gpd rodi, stand, 6x2 current pro t5, wet dry filter, live rock, coralife 125 skimmer, I can't rent get the rest. But that is a lot for $275. Only thing I am not sure about is he told me the tank is almost 20 years old.

bif24701
03/21/2014, 09:31 PM
That's really old for a tank. I think I would pass. What ever you find be sure is drilled/reef ready.

EllisJuan
03/21/2014, 10:39 PM
I would pass. Like bif said, look for one that is reef ready, drilled, with an overflow. Also if you are going reef you would most likely end up scrapping most of the equipment that is coming with it. In my opinion the lights, wet/dry, and skimmer are not up to snuff for a real reef setup.

davocean
03/22/2014, 12:07 AM
Old junk mostly, lights are ok but may need bulbs, RO/DI may need cartridges, skimmer/sump/tank junk, but I would maybe try to score a deal on the LR if it looks good.

Comedy Fish
03/23/2014, 06:39 AM
Well I am going to pick it up Tuesday. I've bought and sold a ton. that 150 could be parted out and sold piece by piece for 750 or more depending on how much the rock weights. some people don't settle and always buy new. they have no concept about getting a deal and slowly upgrading. I am getting it for sure. Doesn't get much better of a deal. Won't last long.

bif24701
03/23/2014, 08:45 AM
Make sure you leak check the tank after you move it. Well made tanks can hold water for decades but silicone get brittle after long years and it's only when you move the tank that a problem occurs. Good luck.

EllisJuan
03/23/2014, 11:41 AM
Well I am going to pick it up Tuesday. I've bought and sold a ton. that 150 could be parted out and sold piece by piece for 750 or more depending on how much the rock weights. some people don't settle and always buy new. they have no concept about getting a deal and slowly upgrading. I am getting it for sure. Doesn't get much better of a deal. Won't last long.

Why did you bother to ask peoples opinions if you already had your mind made up?

bif24701
03/23/2014, 05:35 PM
Why did you bother to ask peoples opinions if you already had your mind made up?

His mind sure was made up already, that's a fact.