PDA

View Full Version : New Setup. 120g display 75g sump

Luke Schnabel
03/22/2014, 03:02 AM
Hey everyone!

Just want you to know I'm open to any and all advice...

I had a 75 gallon reef tank for about 3 years and I got out of the hobby since I moved last year. I am getting back into the hobby in the next few months. I am purchasing a new 120g tank with duel corner overflows. I will be making my old 75g tank into the sump.I know big, but you can never have too much filtration going on, right? (: I will be using my old supplies but will be purchasing a few MAJOR upgrades. First and foremost I will be buying the Neptune Apex control unit. I heard they are by far the best... I will be upgrading my power heads to Vortech MP40's.. ((Again I hear they are the best)) I will be buying a 3 part dosing unit using bulk reef supply calcium alk. I will need two new return pumps (advice is needed here ALOT). A 48" Innovative Marine Skkye Light Dimmable Dual Strip LED Fixture that I will be adding once I start getting corals in about 5 months.

What I have... A protein skimmer rated for 150 gallons, two heaters, tunze AUto Top off, 3 stage R/O DI water filter, bio balls/chamber, light system 2x250watt MH with two 60watt blue fluorescent. Fans. JBJ wave maker which I'll be using in my fresh water and change out water to circulate.

Is there anything I'm missing that is a must need or in your option I should change or buy something different that is example more cost friendly/effective/downright better.

Thanks for your support I can't wait to start a thread and share the build with you all!

Luke Schnabel
03/22/2014, 08:40 AM
I'm thinking about running TWO mag 7 pumps. One will go directly into the tank the other will be used for my phosban filter AND plumed for the potential of additional needs. I figure that gives me about 7 complete water cycles per hour.

scott3569
04/11/2014, 07:58 PM
hey luke, I may get yelled at here but IMO i would look into trying to go LED your going to end up spending the money anyway in changing out the bulbs for what you got.

Luke Schnabel
04/11/2014, 09:38 PM
I already have the light from my previous tank but I will be buying LEDs once I get come coral

Crooked Reef
04/11/2014, 10:36 PM
Get a bigger skimmer. Your current one is only rated for 150 gallons and you will have over that. You shoud get a skimmer rated for at least 250 gallons maybe even a bit bigger.

Go to a store that has the mp40s running. I hear that they can cause a buzzing that some find too annoying. Other than that and the price tag they are great. I refuse to pay that much for a pump though.

The mag 7s can be loud. In my opinion the bigger mags are quieter. I have a 9.5 that is quiet while I am next to my tank but had a 7 that was audible from across the room. My tank is only 65 gallons and the 9.5 is not too much flow for it. You can always put a valve on it and valve it down a bit too but if the 7 is not powerful enough you cant boost them.

scott3569
04/12/2014, 08:24 AM
As far as the skimmer I just got a SCA-302, now granted I don't have it in my set up yet..but I ran it in a 5 gallon bucket and that thing is pretty darn quiet

Luke Schnabel
04/12/2014, 12:14 PM
I think once I start entering coral into my tank I'll be getting a bigger skimmer. My sump will be in another room so sound will not be an issue unless its like crazy crazy loud. I did use my 9.5 to drain out my 75 gallon tank, it seemed to make little if not any noise.

Luke Schnabel
04/12/2014, 12:14 PM
Ohh BTW while it's on topic. Best Skimmer brand on the market.. In your opinions... Shoot

james1990
04/12/2014, 12:49 PM
looking forward to this build, iv been planning my 120 upgrade from a 30 for about a year. I'm all for the biggest sump, I'm using a 125 hah are you doing SPS or mixed reef?

as for skimmer brands, it's subjective but your going to hear ATB, Vertex, bubble king, reef octopus and a few others.

IMO I suggest you check out LifeReef. go on their site and check them out. they don't use expensive and flimsy needle wheel pumps and use a self cleaning Venturi which has always been an issue for me with other skimmers.

scott3569
04/13/2014, 05:28 AM
Ohh BTW while it's on topic. Best Skimmer brand on the market.. In your opinions... Shoot

got no idea

Indymann99
04/13/2014, 06:11 AM
I would read up on Bean Animal or Herbie drain design. Both are full siphon and dead silent.

I have run a Mag 9.5 as my return for 6yrs without issues.

Spork3245
04/13/2014, 07:54 AM

Reef Octupus
People on a budget seem to like bubble magus too, they sometimes replace the pump to make it better though.

Luke Schnabel
04/13/2014, 04:49 PM
I did some reading and video watching and I think I'm going to get the reef octopus 500 rated for 500 gallons. Because you never know I may want a bigger tank someday anyways lol

TimLikesFish
04/13/2014, 08:24 PM
Sounds like a fun build. I wouldn't call reef octopus the best skimmer on the market, but they provide a quality skimmer for a reasonable price and a lot of people are happy with them. Instead of running two pumps why don't you just get one larger one and put a manifold in to feed whatever you need?

Luke Schnabel
04/13/2014, 09:20 PM
I was thinking of running one pump due to heat but I chose to use two to be on the safe side. My 9.5 will be "T'd" off and pump directly into the two returns on the side. The other will be plumed to run my phosban filter, chiller, bucket less water change and into the QT tank for its water. It will be plumed to run back into my sump or into the tank with a ball valve in case pump one fails I can still run for a week until I get a new one.

I'm trying to set up my tank to be very hassle free because my job requires me to be away sometimes up to 3 days in a row. That's the reason for the Apex. Training my girlfriend/family how to take care in my absence will be a huge part. (Don't worry it's rare that I'm away for more then 24hrs)

Thanks for all your input guys, I'll be starting a build thread once I get my basement finished.