PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby need assistance....

georgeUSC
03/23/2014, 01:43 AM
Hello to all !!!

I am seeking others opinions as to what I should have and NOT have when it comes to my setup and suppliments

I have a 24g Current USA biocube
I have it setup with 2 hydor koralias, 1 marineland 3/1 specifically for shimmering effect and aeration purposes and a Marineland LED bar 18-24

Livestock : 1 Madagascar clownfish (2"), Clean up crew, Peppermint and Cleaner shrimps.
Coral: 1 large GSP colony, 3 Zoa frags, 2 Mushrooms, 1 green candy cane

Food/Supplements: Marine Snow, Tetra marine granules, frozen brine shrimp.

I would like to grow my knowledge as to the do's and dont's of the hobby and am currently interested in adding more coral (currently doing my own research but like opinions) perhaps an anemone to host my madagascar clown. I have done research and have found mixed reviews for many of what I have and would like to know what else should I have and or NOT use etc. Any and or all info/opinions/suggestions appreciated.

will be posting pix soon

Xavibear
03/23/2014, 05:59 AM
Do your test results show that you need to supplement?

Newjack0000
03/23/2014, 06:14 AM
for an anemone you should wait till the tank is matured about one year if not atleast wait 6 months. Then I would get a BTA (bubble tip anemone)

dkeller_nc
03/23/2014, 07:33 AM
George - Welcome to Reef Central.

The first item you should be considering for your tank is some additional lighting. Even the "reef capable" marineland fixtures really aren't (reef capable). Your mushrooms and zoas will be OK, your GSP is iffy, and your candy cane definitely needs more light. I say this specifically because you mention an anemone, all of which require pretty intense lighting.

You also don't mention filtration. While it is certainly possible to keep a small tank without a skimmer, doing so requires very frequent water changes and careful management of livestock and feeding. If you don't have a skimmer on the tank, now would be a good time to consider it if you're going to add stock.

One last tip - it works out better for both the poster and those of us trying to help to post something like "I need help with ...." rather than the more general "I need help". You'll likely get more responses with a specific subject in the thread title.

georgeUSC
03/23/2014, 08:05 PM
thanks to all who replied!!!

Xavibear: Parameters are good
Newjack: thanks for the tip.
Dkellerl: i might have forgot to mention, i have a CPR bak pak 2 skimmer that i will be adding in a few days (bought it with missing collection cup and just ordered it on amazon) so filtration is covered. I have checked and lighting is extremely expensive especially for my budget now but i am currently in the works of building my own out of LEDs and will soon post a pic of the build.

Xavibear
03/24/2014, 09:22 AM
No need to supplement until your testing lets you you know that you need it.

georgeUSC
03/27/2014, 11:05 PM
just tested and here are my parameters:

Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
HR PH 7.8 ppm
Calcium 500 ppm

also just got my bak pak 2 collection cup and I need a pump for it now, As mentioned I have a 24g .... so how many gph's would be ideal for the pump ? The guy I bought it from had a Rio 800gph on it but idk how big his tank was as I feel 800gph would be too much for a 24g no ??

Thanks

EllisJuan
03/27/2014, 11:23 PM
How long has your tank been setup? You should not be seeing any Ammonia. What test kit are you using?

zoafarm
03/28/2014, 07:10 AM
My two cents.

1. Agreed...upgrade lights
2. Buy quality test kits
3. Don't supplement anything that you don't test for. A good water change schedule is best.
4. Don't over feed.

Xavibear
03/28/2014, 07:47 AM
just tested and here are my parameters:

Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
HR PH 7.8 ppm
Calcium 500 ppm

also just got my bak pak 2 collection cup and I need a pump for it now, As mentioned I have a 24g .... so how many gph's would be ideal for the pump ? The guy I bought it from had a Rio 800gph on it but idk how big his tank was as I feel 800gph would be too much for a 24g no ??

Thanks

What's KH & Mg? Are you testing for those?