PDA

View Full Version : New LPS Tank advice

Centerline
03/23/2014, 11:35 AM
Hey Folks, I am replacing a 180 (SPS) in my living room and my wife is badgering me to do a LPS tank. Typically I have ran SPS tanks and have that down pretty good but if I'm going to do a LPS tank I would like to have an optimal setup. So a couple of questions if I may.

Planning on another 180 or something close.
Planning on a bare bottom tank.
Planning on keeping chalice, zoa, cyphastrea, favia, brains, etc.
Planning on keeping a bunch of small fish including a healthy school of anthias (7-9).

1) Will LEDs alone be sufficient to keep LPS healthy? I currently run a couple of the Rapid LED Onyx systems (10 hrs pd) and supplement with a 250 Radium MH (4 hrs pd) over a 80 rimless and everything is doing fine (maybe growth is a tad slow). So my hope is that LEDs will keep everything healthy.

2) Any known issues with Bio Pellets and LPS? - I have had great success running pellets with my SPS tank and really like not having to fool with GFO or cleaning the glass but I'm wondering if the water will be too clean for LPS to be healthy.

3) What type of flow should I consider? A couple of MP40s or MP60s?

Thanks

Reef Frog
03/23/2014, 01:55 PM
Many LPS have lower light requirements and need more acclimation than light loving SPS like acros. T5 is perfect for me but many do it well with LEDs, but you will want to be careful with over lighting so it's best to introduce them low with the LEDs dialed back quite a bit. With that said you don't have to choose one or the other (LPS/SPS). They can coexist just fine together as long as you understand the stinging ability of many LPS and keep safe differences between colonies. And you will need to test your desired locations before mounting on the rock so you get the light level right.

Bio pellets should be no problem since you have experience with them. Small amounts of nutrients are beneficial for many LPS & zoas. If you have lots of fish to feed & start feeding your LPS too you may find PO4 will eventually exceed the bacterial abllity to sequester it. But maybe not. Keep testing. I find I must use GFO in my mixed tank.

LPS generally need more moderate flow than SPS. Most LPS like the broad and variable flow the Ecotech pumps can give you. The sync & anti sync programs are very valuable IMO. Not sure if the 40 or 60 is best on a 180, but I do know you can run the larger pump at a lower speed meaning less noise & less wear & tear. But there is the price issue to consider too.

Art13
03/23/2014, 02:39 PM
i have mine under leds with no problems.

Tahiti
03/23/2014, 03:16 PM
I keep a tank full of lps under an led light with great success.

hjkesler
10/20/2014, 10:12 AM
How can I sterilize new LPS or SPS before adding in tank in order to prevent entering Hitchhikers or any other harmful pet in aquarium .any Idea ? Is there any med product among brands?

Mark9
10/21/2014, 07:52 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-78852-62129-fish-supplies.jpg

Docdiggy
10/21/2014, 04:42 PM
Bayer

Fish Biscuit
10/22/2014, 03:34 PM
I have an AI Hydra & my LPS is fine. Before I had a hammer, frogspawn, & a candy cane in a 12g cube under a CF with no problems.

BryanS4
10/25/2014, 02:58 PM
Google, "bayer for coral dip". It's what I've been using with no problems.