PDA

View Full Version : My Trochus Snails Died and I do not Know Why

arinrb
03/24/2014, 11:23 AM
So I had two Trochus snails in my BioCube14 and over the last 10 days they have both died. I have no idea why, I like these guys I think they are beautiful and they really clean the glass, so I want to be able to keep them. My corals are happy, my clowns are happy, my other snails are happy, my crabs are happy. There is enough food for my crabs and enough algae for the snails. My parameters are perfect (ph, ammonia and the two N’s) and my salt is about .34%. My temp ranges from 80 – 83, it did spike to close to 85, but I changed the pump and replaced the lighting with LEDs to get temperatures down. If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it.

Mpy
03/25/2014, 10:11 AM
What kind of crabs do you have? most all of them are opportunistic feeders and will eat snails if given the chance.

Also if your salinity is 0.34% you have a problem, but my guess is you mean 34ppt or 3.4%, otherwise your salinity is an order of magnitude off.

arinrb
03/25/2014, 09:07 PM
What kind of crabs do you have? most all of them are opportunistic feeders and will eat snails if given the chance.

Also if your salinity is 0.34% you have a problem, but my guess is you mean 34ppt or 3.4%, otherwise your salinity is an order of magnitude off.

I have 5 small hermits, but they are well fed. Yes, my salt it 34 ppt...

Calappidae
03/25/2014, 10:00 PM
Hermits will kill snails for their shells if there is none provided that the crabs are interested in.

arinrb
03/25/2014, 11:43 PM
Hermits will kill snails for their shells if there is none provided that the crabs are interested in.

But the snails were much bigger than the crabs and I have spare shells in the tank.

Justletters7
03/26/2014, 12:53 PM
Were the spare shells bigger than what the crabs already have?

arinrb
03/27/2014, 04:00 PM
Were the spare shells bigger than what the crabs already have?

Yes, they are bigger.

snorvich
03/27/2014, 04:09 PM
But the snails were much bigger than the crabs and I have spare shells in the tank.

Makes no difference. hermits will kills snails. Extra shells won't prohibit that.

arinrb
03/28/2014, 12:39 PM
Makes no difference. hermits will kills snails. Extra shells won't prohibit that.

If only hermits were not so interesting to watch.