PDA

View Full Version : Adding more rock

Tamarae
03/24/2014, 11:31 AM
If I wanted to add more rock to my already cycled tank would I want to add dry rock or more live rock from the LFS? I'd like to add some more layers to my aquascaping. :fish1:

Thanks

thegrun
03/24/2014, 11:44 AM
There is some risk to either adding live or dry rock, more so with live rock. If you are only adding a small amount (under 10% of your existing rock), unless you had a large amount of die-off there shouldn't be a problem. For dry rock again unless there is a lot of dried on organics you should be fine. To be completely safe cycle the new rock in a separate container with a heater and water circulation. Once the rock has cycled you can add it all to your existing system

nlgill13
03/24/2014, 11:49 AM
+2 cycle the rock in a different container

Tamarae
03/24/2014, 12:11 PM
Ok thanks - I'll set up my little QT tank and cycle it in there. Its the same live rock I bought initially from the LFS. Just wanting to add a couple more chunks to give more space for coral and fish hidey holes.

Luke Schnabel
03/24/2014, 02:48 PM
Is the rock already cured at the LfS. I would always buy small amounts and add in to my tank. Not too much!

erickcooper
03/24/2014, 02:59 PM
Is the rock already cured at the LfS. I would always buy small amounts and add in to my tank. Not too much!

And we really kind of do this anyway when we buy rock with coral (mushrooms, zoos, etc.) already on them. Obviously, they're probably cycled. I love different types of mushrooms and they come on rock. But, you just never know what hitchhiker you're going to get. :rolleye1:

Tamarae
03/24/2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah its already ready to go - they have it in big sump type tanks with water flow and all that. When I bought it it was wrapped in newspaper and water dipped and put in a cooler until I could get it into the tank. Still had lots of life in it, I've found all sorts of crazy wonderful critters. Think adding a hunk or two at a time would be no biggie since its what's already in my tank anyway?