PDA

View Full Version : Cycling question

ChelseaRanee
03/24/2014, 07:26 PM
I have had my 20g tank up and running for 2 weeks now. I used brine shrimp as my ammonia source and have been testing my ammonia levels every day or two. Once I had detectable ammonia levels I started to test for nitrites.

My ammonia levels have now dropped to zero but I still haven't seen any detectable nitrate levels while testing. I will pick up a nitrate test kit today and test for that later.

Is this normal? Where has the ammonia gone if it isn't showing as nitrites? What should I do (leave it be or add more food)?

ReeferBill
03/24/2014, 07:36 PM
How much brine shrimp did you put in to start the cycle? You are suppose to use a grocery type piece of table type or cocktail shrimp to decay and get broken down so the good bacteria can build up and cycle the shrimp. if you did not have a spike of ammonia and nitrite and nitrate readings then you did not add enough decaying food to seed the bacteria. Try again with a wholen piece of shrimp from the grocery store or fish market.

ReeferMark
03/24/2014, 07:48 PM
You say your ammonia dropped to zero. What was it before? You also say you tested for nitrates, but you still need to buy a nitrate tester? Ammonia will break down to nitrites, then to nitrates. Get a test kit for nitrates and see if there is anything measurable in nitrates.

ChelseaRanee
03/24/2014, 07:58 PM
I used 8 cubes of frozen brine shrimp all up.

My ammonia had been 0.5ppm and someone on here said not to worry abbout getting up to a specific ppm level. And yeah I did mean nitrites (sorry that was a typo)

thegrun
03/25/2014, 06:52 AM
Tells a little about your live rock. Did it come from a local shop where it may have already been partially cycled or was it dry rock. Because your ammonia levels didn't get up all that high your nirtire portion of the cycle may have been very short or not happened at all if the rock was partially cycled already. How long have you been waiting for nitrites?

snorvich
03/25/2014, 08:35 AM
Tells a little about your live rock. Did it come from a local shop where it may have already been partially cycled or was it dry rock. Because your ammonia levels didn't get up all that high your nirtire portion of the cycle may have been very short or not happened at all if the rock was partially cycled already. How long have you been waiting for nitrites?

Very logical. I would guess you did have a cycle.

ChelseaRanee
03/25/2014, 09:19 PM
Tells a little about your live rock. Did it come from a local shop where it may have already been partially cycled or was it dry rock.

The rock is from the LFS. All of it was in a tank that forms part of a massive sump for all of their display tanks. Some was white but there were a few bits that were a nice purple color.

How long have you been waiting for nitrites?

The first day that I had detectable ammonia was the 17th and I started testing for nitrites on that day.

I went to the supermarket this morning and got a raw mussel and have put that in. I tested my water paramaters again just now and the ammonia levels are already coming up again so I'll make sure they come up higher this time.

The LFS guy said to leave it a few days till it stinks but my tank is in my bedroom. Can I just keep testing and pull it out when it gets to say 5ppm of ammonia?

Here are my latest test results
pH: 8.4
Ammonia:0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

PirateToast
03/25/2014, 10:36 PM
If youre using an API test kit, it will almost always read .25 ammonia, even when zero. Sounds like you have live rock already and are probably cycled.

I cycled my tank with pure ammonia. I heard the best way to verify that the tank was ready was to pour a bit in in the morning, by the end of thed ay it should be down to zero (or the bad .25 ppm for API).

ChelseaRanee
03/26/2014, 03:53 PM
It is an API one but I have had a few zero readings. Maybe my test kit is alright? I've added the mussel anyway and will keep testing for ammonia

ChelseaRanee
03/27/2014, 03:47 AM
I put the mussel in yesterday afternoon (32 hours ago) and this morning when I tested my ammonia was back up to 1ppm and both nitrite and nitrate were undetectable.

I tested again just now and my ammonia was down to 0.25ppm nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 10ppm

Does this mean that my original brine shrimp cycle has worked as the bacteria seems to be processing the ammonia from the mussel relatively well.

What should I do now?

thegrun
03/27/2014, 07:12 AM
Wait for the ammonia to drop to zero. Once the ammonia and nitrites are at zero for at least three days add your clean-up crew.

Krikit
03/27/2014, 09:57 AM
I'm getting ready to start my cycle on my 20H. Ive read to do a 30% water change, post cycle, before CUC. Is that good info?

thegrun
03/27/2014, 10:12 AM
I'm getting ready to start my cycle on my 20H. Ive read to do a 30% water change, post cycle, before CUC. Is that good info?

It depends on what your ending nitrate level is. If it is under 5ppm I would skip the water change. Over 5 ppm make the water change to bring the nitrates down.

Krikit
03/27/2014, 02:21 PM
Deleted

ChelseaRanee
03/27/2014, 04:55 PM
When should I take the mussel out. Its be in there 2 days now

ChelseaRanee
03/28/2014, 03:51 AM
Just tested water parameters. Mussel has been in just over 2 days.

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm

Knowing what everyone says about API test kits I'm gonna take the mussel out now. It was 2 weeks on Wednesday since my tank has been running. This cycle seems to be going pretty quick? Is this normal? Has my tank actually cycled properly?

Crooked Reef
03/28/2014, 04:43 AM
Sounds like it. You can trust that the decomposing shrimp is putting ammonia into the water and since API test kits are notorious for giving a false .25 ppm result on ammonia you are probably good. This means that your biological filter is keeping the ammonia in check. Start with the clean up crew. Go slow and keep testing.

Krikit
03/28/2014, 10:40 AM
I'm tagging along Miss Chelsea. I put my shrimp in yesterday. :-D

ChelseaRanee
03/28/2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. Good luck Krikit

pufferpoison
03/28/2014, 10:48 PM
if only your were dosing pure ammonia, you would know exactly where your levels were and could control bioloads.