PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting my attempts at marine, pico reef?

axelrod12
03/24/2014, 07:34 PM
I've spent my whole time keeping fish tanks with FW planted tanks. However, for a while now I've been trying to plan reef tanks and make the jump to SW. I planned out a 40B about 1.5 years ago. Money was an issue then. So I entertained ideas for a pico reef but never saw anything through. I still have the 40B planned out and have even purchased the tank and built a stand, which are now in storage. Anyways now money is becoming less of an issue but space is still a big one. I'm thinking about setting up a pico reef again though.

I'm not too worried about stocking it. I'll be fine with just some inverts, if I can manage a fish then thats great. Main thing I want to do it keep corals. Nothing crazy hard at first. Thinking zoas and shrooms to start, I have to revisit some of my old research but from what I remember they are on the easier side and lower light side of things.

Now as far as tanks go I'm entertaining a couple ideas and wanted some opinions on this.

Option #1 I have a 2g Fluval Spec around. From my research I will need to upgrade the stock light and the pump, or add a small powerhead as the stock pump I believe is only 40gph. I looked into the boost led clamp fixture: http://www.boostled.com/product_p/rlclamp.htm
I think it would be a good option. I'm also open to any and all suggestions for lighting.

Option #2 is either an evolve 4 or 8 depending on what could fit in the spot on my desk (haven't measured yet). Both would provide me some extra space for corals and possibly stock. I've also heard the stock light on the evolves 4 and 8 is strong enough to support the zoas and shrooms I want to start off with? Then if needed down the line I could upgrade to the par30 fixture. I think I would also need to add a powerhead to either evolve?

Keeping my initial cost down is nice but I can afford to spend a little on this setup, something I really couldn't do in the past. I'm leaning towards an evolve 8, I would prefer the extra room for corals, stock, and a power head and the dimensions aren't too much bigger than the evolve 4. I would kind of like confirmation that the stock light can support zoas though. I've read some mixed things and it seems almost everyone upgrades at some point. I'm fine with upgrading but I would like it to be at least a few months down the line.

So opinions, advice, tips, guidance, anything is appreciated.

Also on a side note I don't really want to hear not to start in SW with a pico setup. I'm aware it can be difficult and issues/mistakes can be made. I'm prepared to make some, hopefully not any too expensive ones, but I know things can happen. I have seen others do this though so I know it can be done. I think with some patience and help from others I should be able to manage.

imkelz
03/24/2014, 11:33 PM
I would get an ATO for a tank that small, otherwise you will be topping off constantly. I had a 5 gallon I had set up for tanks and it needed to be topped off constantly during the day and I eventually just broke the tank down.

It can be done you just need massive determination, and remember just because the tank is small doesnt necessarily mean cheap lol

axelrod12
03/24/2014, 11:48 PM
I would get an ATO for a tank that small, otherwise you will be topping off constantly. I had a 5 gallon I had set up for tanks and it needed to be topped off constantly during the day and I eventually just broke the tank down.

It can be done you just need massive determination, and remember just because the tank is small doesnt necessarily mean cheap lol

Not cheap, but definitely much less expensive than the estimate I have for my 40B. I'm not exactly sure what an ATO for this system would require but I'll look into it. I'm still holding back until I figure whether the zoas would be supported by the stock light or not. Someone on another forum suggested they may be fine if they are higher up in the tank.

axelrod12
03/25/2014, 12:37 PM
Can anyone help me out with the ATO. Maybe link me to some guides/info on ATOs. They are one thing I really know nothing about. I'd probably be willing to DIY something for the ATO but if the cost isn't too much less I would rather just buy something.

axelrod12
03/27/2014, 09:21 PM
No one has any opinions on the zoas under the stock light or can direct me towards any ATO info..?

Reefer_Addickt
03/28/2014, 07:26 AM
Tunze makes a nano ATO unit.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Nano_Osmolator_3152_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-Tunze-TZ4114-FIDPETPU-vi.html

Autotopoff.com

Fish street also has a ato unit for 50 bucks.

I wouldn't plan on much with the stock light. It looks like it was designed with fw in mind.

axelrod12
03/29/2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks. I may try a zoa or two higher up and see how they do.

axelrod12
03/31/2014, 06:01 PM
So I'll be away for a week at the end of April for work. Would it be better to wait to fill anything until after that or is it possible to put some live rock in and let the curing/cycle start while I'm gone?