PDA

View Full Version : Help with protein skimmer please

ctownmangler
03/25/2014, 04:02 PM
I bought a used sump setup at my LFS when my remora hang on back went TU about 6 weeks ago. This 20gal has an older Aquamax skimmer which I'm not too familiar with which is my problem I guess. The skimmer has been going for 2 weeks now and has a slime build up but the collection cup keeps filling up with water even if I have it at the very top. This causes the cup to slide down...so anyway I did rinse out the cup and got a lot of sludge. The bubbles seem to be rising pretty fast and I can't find any adjustment on the grey tube at the end of the air line attached to the skimmer pump. I'm wondering if this is because even tho I've been doin 10+ gal water changes the organic buildup is so high???major alge problems and most corals not happy at all so any insight would be much appreciated....thx (disregard tank info except its still a 75 gal)

R20
03/25/2014, 06:00 PM
Can you post a pick of the skimmer i have never seen an in sump skimmer with an adjustable collection cup have checked the air intake for the skimmer for a clog.

ctownmangler
03/25/2014, 06:37 PM
I've been messing with it so not many bubbles at the moment, usually half full of water and bubbles out the top

tripleS
03/25/2014, 09:12 PM
you have to adjust the switch on your skimmer. keep it on low

ctownmangler
03/25/2014, 11:28 PM
I can't find any way to adjust it....but I am an idoit :wildone:

R20
03/26/2014, 02:47 PM
Cant see the whole skimmer is there any adjustment or vale on the air line to the skimmer. Is it sitting in a compartment with a constant water level have you tried shimming the skimmer up it might be in to deep of water.

ctownmangler
03/26/2014, 07:08 PM
I didn't know proper water height so that could be it, how deep should it be?

And Thx!

ctownmangler
03/26/2014, 07:12 PM
I forgot to add, at the end of the air line is a grey tube but it won't turn or anything...didn't want to break it...and I couldn't find any type of switch or lever on the skimmer itself.

Thx again!

Dmorty217
03/26/2014, 07:44 PM
The grey tube at the end of the airline is the adjustment for how much air is sucked into the pump to create more or less micro bubbles. If it wont adjust you need to get a new one that will

ctownmangler
03/27/2014, 01:46 PM
Thx D