PDA

View Full Version : JBJ RL30 vs. Nuvo Micro 30?

t_a_unger
03/25/2014, 04:48 PM
Hi All!

Thanks for this great forum - I've learned a ton by reading your amazing posts. (Note - also posted in the "New to The Hobby" Forum as I'm not sure I'll get the most experienced answers there - apologies in advance for the repetition!)

I was in the hobby years ago, and after a great deal of research have settled on the 30-gal AIO as my re-entry point. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Nuvo Micro 30 or the JBJ 30RL (with a slight preference for the JBJ due to its more rectangular shape).

I was wondering if there are any strong opinions out there as to which is better? I'm specifically interested in:

Quality and clarity of the glass
Quality of the pumps, nozzles, and other built-in equipment
Ease of modification of the sump and flowy bits (e.g., can I put spinstream nozzles on the JBJ outflows?)
General overall quality

I have heard only great things about the Nuvo series and some minor quality complaints about the JBJ build quality (glass not as clear? hoses and nozzles pop off? etc.).

Many thanks in advance for your input!

--Tom

terrypercula
03/25/2014, 04:56 PM
I'm a little biased towards Innovative Marine products but that being said there has been a few scares of glass cracking on the Nuvos. I've never used a JBJ product that I'd consider quality either. So I'd maybe suggest the Innovative Marine 30 fusion series. No bent edges should make any prior issues a non factor. This is all assuming you have your heart set on an AIO tank. Also look into the cadlights series tanks. I believe they have a 30 ish gallon tank.

t_a_unger
03/25/2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks so much! Will do.

t_a_unger
03/26/2014, 11:40 AM
No one else has an opinion? :)

terrypercula
03/26/2014, 02:03 PM
No one else has an opinion? :)

Try this post in the nano reef section. You'll get better results there.

t_a_unger
03/26/2014, 03:21 PM
Many thanks - will do!