PDA

View Full Version : I'm back!!!!

intyme
03/25/2014, 06:06 PM
Hello everyone, it's been about 10 years or so since I've had a SW tank. I have been keeping cichlids for most of my time. I am getting back into the hobby! I do have some questions for my converted setup. I have a 55 with a ehiem canister. We have done research on here and through my LFS. I know it's not an ideal tank for a reef, yet I don't have $2000 to drop on a whole new setup. So my questions are......what should I do to get my 55 going? I am getting a t5 ho light from a friend. I plan to get an RO filter. What kind of power heads should I get. Do I need a sump? Can it wait? Any input would be greatly appreciated

ViktorVaughn
03/25/2014, 06:59 PM
If I could go back and just have had started my tank with a sump and drilled it before I filled it, I would in a heartbeat. The hang on overflow I have works well, no issues yet, but I would feel better if I had an internal overflow going. I had my 40 breeder running for about 8 months or so until all the equipment in my tank started driving me bonkers. I would have great corals or fish to stare at but would find myself gravitating towards the unsightly heater, tubes, HOB skimmer intake/drain, power cords etc. So getting all the gear out of my tank was my first priority but the added ~12 gallons of water volume I gained is great too.

Powerheads all depend on what type of coral, if any, you plan on keeping as certain species like a ton of flow and others just a low to moderate flow. You can grab budget pumps like the Hydor Koralia's for pretty cheap or get higher end pumps that have adjustable flow rates and different flow patterns like the Vortech's.

Nace
03/25/2014, 07:02 PM
A lot depends on what your final outcome will look like. You say reef and T5 lighting so perhaps mixed corals?

Powerheads you will get a lot of different opinions. I use Vortechs, others wear by Tunze, and others like the new Jebos or Korallias.

You don't need a sump, but it can make like easier in some instances and tougher in others.

I personally would not do a reef tank without a skimmer but people do and have been successful with managing their bio-load and keeping up with water changes.

Live rock will be needed no matter what you do. Sand is up to you. Also a heater.

intyme
03/26/2014, 09:08 AM
I do want a sump, I have rattled my brain about it and If I'm going to do this I want it done right. I don't want to see every piece of equipment running the tank. I just want a nice looking reef. What size power heads should I get, 600gpm? Probably 2 right? It just seems like that's a lot of movement and my fish will be suck on the glass lol

intyme
03/26/2014, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah, I'll be having live rock and sand too, forgot to mention that

ViktorVaughn
03/26/2014, 10:45 AM
Probably higher than 600 gph, I have 2 600 gph and one 425 gph powerheads plus my return flow on my 40 gallon. No fish has any problem with the flow.

Hammertime12
03/26/2014, 12:04 PM
IMO Here is what I would do if on a "budget" and wanting to do it right,

50lbs live sand 60$
50lbs Dry Rock 75$ --I like live sand and dry rock combo less hitch hickers
Reef Octupus 90 skimmer 120$
GFO-Carbon Reactor 75$ This is a MUST to keep Phosphates down during "UGLIES" stage most new reefers dont get this and CYNO and other algaes overrun the tank in the first 3 months.
2 Koralia 825 - $100
T5 your getting seems fine if just running basic corals.
20g Sump with overflow kit 80$

Roughly 500$ to have a good setup. Nothing in this Hobby comes cheap or quickly and IMO if you rush or do it cheaply for that size tank you will regret you didn't save and invest properly. Craigslist always seems to help, stay up on that might find some really good deals.

All of this is strictly opinion, there is no right way but a educated way is cheaper in the long run! Best of Luck!

Aliciamb2
03/26/2014, 12:10 PM
are you stuck on the 55? IMO i would go at least 75 or 90 the 55 is just to narrow. The bigger the better :D

RatReef
03/26/2014, 03:16 PM
Rumor is that the Petco dollar a gallon sale is coming up gain the end of March, you could pick yourself up a 29 or 40g tank on the cheap to build yourself a sump.

intyme
03/27/2014, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the advise, the power heads makes more sense, the lists hammer time gave me is awesome.... I'm not stuck on 55 and only plan to use untill I can get a 65, a 75 or 90 is too big for my space I am hesitant on putting my 55 in place.....so many options AHHHHH