PDA

View Full Version : How to help sickly xenia?

jellyfish4me
03/26/2014, 01:01 PM
I just received a frag of pulsing pink xenia that was shipped to me. It was in transit about 24 hours.

Its actually about 4 small clumps on a piece of coral bone. I looks very bad. When I received it, it had shifted into an air pocket in the bag and was out of the actual water. I did not acclimate it. I just put it in the tank. it looks so close to death that I didn't want to wait for that.

The xenia still has arms and some fingers too. But I held it in front of a power head to blow off some dead parts. I think I could probably blow just about all of the fingers off if I held it there long enough. :(

My question is, where should I place it in the tank in hopes of it recovering? Close to the 36watt pc lighting or on the sand? Strong flow or slow flow?

This is in a 7.5 gal nano tank.

Cymonous
03/26/2014, 01:03 PM
For any chance, I would say on the sand in low flow.

thegrun
03/26/2014, 01:56 PM
Give it time, soon you will be asking "how do I remove it!" Seriously, the stuff is incredibly resilient, don't give up hope yet.

johnpasternak
03/26/2014, 02:02 PM
I can't keep it everything else does
Good
Keep
It low on sand worked the longest for me

ItzJustinN
03/26/2014, 02:08 PM
i highly doubt your xenia will die.
i have intentionally tried killing xenia,
only to have it pop back in a week.

Mael
03/26/2014, 03:37 PM
I have heard the same, that it is one of the harder to kill corals, like GSP, it is almost considered a weed by some.

I am still waiting for the frag that floated into my rockwork somewhere to pop out unexpectantly.

snorvich
03/26/2014, 03:41 PM
Give it time, soon you will be asking "how do I remove it!" Seriously, the stuff is incredibly resilient, don't give up hope yet.

Exactly.

jellyfish4me
03/31/2014, 03:02 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who posted and give you a quick update. The xenia definitely got worse before it got better. But it is getting better. It has shrunk and melted away a lot. But yesterday, what is left of it looked like it was expanding a little bit and this morning it is expanding more and I could see the little hands pumping. :)

For those people who search for this post and find it much later. I did exactly what was recommended and placed the frag down on the sand bed in a slow flow area of the tank.

jellyfish4me
04/06/2014, 06:31 PM

Wow... I have located 2 very small pieces that fell off at the beginning, Both pieces have attached to rock in the very back of my tank and are pumping as we speak. I can't see them very well because of where they are except the tips of them poking out and pulsing. I'm guessing they floated there and settled were the flow is slow.

I guess I'm going to have a background wall of pulsing xenia. ;)