PDA

View Full Version : Sump extensions or modifications

thompson2224
03/27/2014, 06:59 AM
So 3 weeks ago I upgraded to a 72 gallon tank and I had planned on using a 20 gallon sump for the tank as I had the 20 gallon tank already and that was holding my current livestock. I had to keep my corals in the 20 until the 72 gallon was ready, not thinking I didn't put the sump below the tank first as all the measurements said it would fit no problem. When I went to go put the sump in the 20 gallon tank was to large to fit through the door and would have needed to be dropped into the bottom of the stand before the 72 was set down. I ended up using a 10 gallon tank for the sump, and it fits everything I needed except a refugium, and it doesn't overfill if the power goes out, but I would like a larger sump to be able to get my refugium to be a part of the tank. Is there anyway that I can use another tank and somehow connect it to the 10 gallon sump, or what is possible to make a larger sump here?

SGT_York
03/27/2014, 09:15 AM
You can stair step them, so a higher tank flows into the lower tank. It would require you to drill the higher 10 Gallon. My first tank had a 20G sump with a 10G fuge slightly higher with two durso drains out the side of the fuge. Worked until I scrapped the tank.

thompson2224
03/27/2014, 10:27 AM
I might do something like that then

ca1ore
03/27/2014, 01:44 PM
A 10 gallon is on the small side for a 72 gallon tank. While 'stair-stepping' another sump certainly can work, it will increase the amount of water that the lowest 10 gallon sump has to contain in the event of a power failure.

I have this issue with my system. My 75 gallon sump must handle the overflow from my main 265 display, a stair-stepped frag tank, and a stair-stepped W/C reservoir. Water comes to within an inch of the top rim of the main sump when the pump is shut off; which is a bit too close for comfort for me.

thompson2224
03/27/2014, 03:28 PM
What makes it "small" for the 72 exactly? Why does the sump need to be large? I knew it was smaller than I would've liked but what is the disadvantage other than not as much can fit? Everything does fit however, except the refugium