PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Angel Fish Ideas'

BuckeyeFrags26
03/27/2014, 11:02 PM
Ok So I recently got rid of my Adult male flame angel and now am looking to replace it with a vibrant, striking looking Angelfish!
$$$ I'snt an issue, I'm looking for a crowning fish to finish off the fish buying for this tank and want an awesome fish.

Any Idea's?

Its for my 125gal SPS reef Tank

SDguy
03/27/2014, 11:44 PM
Only SPS, or SPS and some LPS that you are willing to risk? What other fish are in the tank? How big of an angel do you want?

If you don't want risk, then I'd get a bellus angel pair.

If risk is OK, how about a blueline angel? Yellow Belly regal?

None are very expensive, but stunning nonetheless :D

RayL
03/27/2014, 11:48 PM
Money is no issue, why not a peppermint

Now serious ideas, my favourite is a bandit angel, I am not sure about reef safe though as I have FOWLR
If you want a smaller angel, I have never seen one in person but the pictures online of a golden angel look great

BuckeyeFrags26
03/27/2014, 11:57 PM
A friend of mine actually has one in his Q/T Tank right now and is bulking it up to put in his 220. They are indeed striking fish, Ive been leaning towards the bellus but want to see what options I have first before I pull the trigger and buy.

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 12:00 AM
I would LOVE to own one, but the one person I know that spent the $29,000 on his died less then 2weeks later due to the pressure difference in his tank since they are deep water angels. Good Call Though. But Not equipped to get that deep yet. lol

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 12:03 AM
I have about 95% SPS and a few lps, and some GSP Im letting astro turf on the back glass. As for Size, something that would be comfortable in a 125gal tank til I upgrade a few more hundred gals.

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 12:15 AM
:fish1:Come On Fellow Reefers' Give me Some Ideas, Please? I know there has to be some suggestions that I haven't thought about? I would REALLY appreciate the reply

o2manyfish
03/28/2014, 12:56 AM
The Bellus are great and safe. The golden are very shy, and they do some picking when they come out of the rock work.

If you have some budget and want something different, pickup a juvenile goldflake and grow it out. They have been arriving at 2.5" for the past month or so. They turn out to be beautiful fish. True centerpiece.

Dave B

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 01:00 AM
The Bellus are great and safe. The golden are very shy, and they do some picking when they come out of the rock work.

If you have some budget and want something different, pickup a juvenile goldflake and grow it out. They have been arriving at 2.5" for the past month or so. They turn out to be beautiful fish. True centerpiece.

Dave B

How Big Do They Get?(Golden SnowFlake) Budget is out the window on this purchase as its for my SPS Display Tank. So I want the sickest looking fish(Angel) for my Finally Crowning Fish and one that isn't going to eat my inverts, clam, or SPS

sc50964
03/28/2014, 01:03 AM
How about this one from LA? http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=220891

sc50964
03/28/2014, 01:05 AM
Or this http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=220735

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 01:09 AM
Or this http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=220735

They Are Coming back with any fish, its just saying this page has been moved

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 01:10 AM
How about this one from LA? http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=220891

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=sc50964;22599837]Or this http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=220735[/QU

That Fish is awesome. Would be perfect since its reef safe or "with Caution" but the other one isn't so unfort that's not an option. awesome fish though

o2manyfish
03/28/2014, 01:29 AM
Golden Angels are small Centropyge. The one I have now I have had for 5+ years. Had it paired for several years but lost the smaller one in the crash I had in September. Mine hasn't gotten over 2.5"

The Goldflake is an Apolemichthys - And they get up to about 6-7".

Most angel fish come with some risk to your reef. My goldens do some picking on my sps. But they pick and move on. They don't focus on one particular spot or on one particular colony.

I have kept Goldflakes for about 15 years now. They are beautiful fish in my opinion. I have never had an issue with SPS or LPS. I had one that did take out some Acans, and Micromussa. And on occassion I have had Goldflakes randomly take out a zoa colony. I have lots of livestock in my tank. So when my tank is doing well I will easily have 50+ groups of different zoas. And sometimes you look one day and you are down to 48 or 49. Sometimes they take out 4-5 polyps, and sometimes they take out 25.

But in my tank, they find a color they like, they eat it, and then they leave the rest of the zoas alones for 4-5 months. Of course they always go after your favorite zoas.

Another striking fish, is the Venustus, the angel in my avatar. This fish takes a long time to adjust and get comfortable in the tank, and you need a well established mature aquarium for it to feed off of while it adjusts to captivity before it will be interested in prepared foods. But once they are settled into the tank they are pretty. Not an expensive angel, but an angel not found frequently.

The angels posted from Live Aquaria. The hybrid is probably a good safe choice.

The baby clarion is a not a good choice. The tank is too small, and Clarions are one of the meanest fish out there. Everybody is so excited about getting captive bred clarions, as if by some miracle, Generation 1 of a captive bred fish is going to be a nice social fish.

I have kept wild clarions, and I would not recommend them for a small tank, a reef tank, or a tank where you like small pretty fish.

Dave B

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 02:19 AM
I really appreciate the info. Im now actually considering the getting one. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain your experiences with both angels. I will get back with you before I make my final decision.

Thanks again,

Phil

RDtrack
03/28/2014, 07:35 AM
Ditto to what o2manyfish states.

I noticed that you mentioned that you did not want an angel that would pick on your clam. As you are probably aware there is no reef safe angel. Individual fish may not pick but there is always a risk

There is an excellent article on this very topic at. http://************.com/2014/03/27/angelfish-reef-aquariums/. Just written about the Goldflake and Regal.

My personal experience is that my goldflake didn't pick on zoes but went after all my LPS. My regal on the other hand loved zoes. I wouldn't trust a clam with either one.

On the other hand the sheer beauty of each of these fish is worth it.

In my experience my nonreef friends always notice the fish before the coral. So I now have a beautiful softy (star polyps, mushrooms, pipe organ, etc.) tank

o2manyfish
03/28/2014, 10:45 AM
Getting the attention of Non-Reef people is so easy. I keep a heavily populated tank (120+ Fish currently.

Non-Fish people will always gawk at the blue of a blue damsel, the yellow tang, they notice the Dory and the nemo. And most people love the fire fish.

Never has a non-reef person picked out an angel, as an eye catcher.

While those are the fish the non-hobby people spot, they never spot things like Multi-bar angels, Venustus, Purple Tangs, Black Tangs or Gold Flakes.

If you are looking for something that captures the attention of both Hobbyists and Non-hobbyists there are a couple of recommendations. A well fed Mandarin (target or paisley) will catch anyones attention. I also have successfully kept dragon faced pipefish in my tank. And these also get lots of attention.

Dave B

Bernie21
03/28/2014, 03:13 PM
I love Angels, but you're kinda stuck in the middle, where Pygmys as striking as they are wont stand out like you'd like & larger Angels are way to big or risky for your tank. Bellus seem like a happy medium, I know a pair would catch my eye. Alternatives I would suggest maybe a small hareem of pygmys, I once some one w 3 - 5 flameangels in their tank & it looked amazing. You can attempt that w other since you just got rid of your flames. If you ever go Larger in tanks, Scribbed Angel, Queen and Passer angels all wow me.

FOr non Angels I would say an MI, if you get a feeding one & provide a propper diet for it, Some eye catching wrasse hareems would also do the job. Keep us posted w pics on what you decide. Getting a new centerpiece is always so much fun! :)

Bernie21
03/28/2014, 03:15 PM
Oh... a Rock Beauty is also very striking, and not to big and not pricey at all, but extremely delicate and kinda risky. I had one for a long time, never bothered anything, just picked on sponges I had there for it.

hogfanreefer
03/28/2014, 03:52 PM
Watanabei angel or pair would be awesome. Better chance of being reef safe than most genus of angels.

BuckeyeFrags26
03/28/2014, 09:31 PM
I will look into that.

sc50964
03/28/2014, 11:02 PM
I will look into that.

I suggest not. Even though it's reef safe, but the male could lose its nice coloration, basically turning gay.

MikeandNicole
03/29/2014, 08:34 AM
We have a flame x rusty hybrid who to date is coral safe, but she ate our clam and routinely knocks snails off the glass and eats them.

Dmorty217
03/29/2014, 09:29 AM
Just get a Bellus since I know you want one more than a Wanatabei, otherwise you are looking at 100's$$ of dollars for a fish that may or may not be picking at your clam and corals. Not worth the risk, plus I don't want to have to help you catch the angel out of your tank. A hybrid of some sort would be sweet, but the are few and far between

BuckeyeFrags26
03/30/2014, 05:12 PM
:fish2:Ditto to what o2manyfish states.

I noticed that you mentioned that you did not want an angel that would pick on your clam. As you are probably aware there is no reef safe angel. Individual fish may not pick but there is always a risk

There is an excellent article on this very topic at. http://************.com/2014/03/27/angelfish-reef-aquariums/. Just written about the Goldflake and Regal.

My personal experience is that my goldflake didn't pick on zoes but went after all my LPS. My regal on the other hand loved zoes. I wouldn't trust a clam with either one.

On the other hand the sheer beauty of each of these fish is worth it.

In my experience my nonreef friends always notice the fish before the coral. So I now have a beautiful softy (star polyps, mushrooms, pipe organ, etc.) tank

Just get a Bellus since I know you want one more than a Wanatabei, otherwise you are looking at 100's$$ of dollars for a fish that may or may not be picking at your clam and corals. Not worth the risk, plus I don't want to have to help you catch the angel out of your tank. A hybrid of some sort would be sweet, but the are few and far between

I think your right, but that's why I am taking my time picking one out.

BuckeyeFrags26
04/26/2014, 06:04 PM
So I finally made my mind up and pulled the trigger and came out pretty good. I got a male & female Pair of WantanaBei Angels. They are doing great and are super healthy.

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions,

BuckeyeFrags26

sc50964
04/26/2014, 08:12 PM
So I finally made my mind up and pulled the trigger and came out pretty good. I got a male & female Pair of WantanaBei Angels. They are doing great and are super healthy.

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions,

BuckeyeFrags26

Nice. Pls post some pictures.

Dmorty217
04/26/2014, 08:44 PM
He has since separated the male and female since they weren't getting along very well in a 29g (make being aggressive) Since then one is in a 125g and the other is about to be in a separate 125g

sc50964
04/26/2014, 08:48 PM
He has since separated the male and female since they weren't getting along very well in a 29g (make being aggressive) Since then one is in a 125g and the other is about to be in a separate 125g

That's disappointing to hear. He may end up with two females.

rnscross
04/27/2014, 02:46 AM
Pretty sure the sex change is permanent. There is a greater of Chang ending up with 2 males.

maikoa02
04/27/2014, 03:08 AM
Lost my female and the male turned female within 2 months.

sc50964
04/27/2014, 08:39 AM
Lost my female and the male turned female within 2 months.

+1 to that. I have a pair of WA myself and have done my homework prior to the purchase. 9 out of 10 morph goes to female.