PDA

View Full Version : My tank 1 Year on.

lllesley
03/29/2014, 05:38 AM
Was just sitting here looking at photos of the reef tank 1 year ago today, the day we actually bought it. I cant believe the difference. Long way to go but wow what a long way I think we have come ?
First picture is the tank day 12 all the rest are 1 year on.
Love it but we are soooo broke now. lol

dc
03/29/2014, 07:30 AM
[moved]

Looks great. There's always satisfaction when it all works for you. :D

DocHogan
03/29/2014, 07:36 PM
What size tank is that? How did you have the success do keep those fish all together and looking so healthy? Very nice.

lllesley
03/29/2014, 08:45 PM
What size tank is that? How did you have the success do keep those fish all together and looking so healthy? Very nice.

Well thank you for the lovely comments. The tank is 1000 liters with 200 liter sump. 1900 x 750 x 750. I don't feel we have too many fish but we are not getting anymore we are at our limit. We started of with 2 yellow tangs, they did not get along so we kept our favorite traded in the one that was aggressive and tried again, we went through this with 5 yellow tangs before they got along. Same with the coral beauty & Flame angel, traded 2 of those befoe these 2 got along.
Fish eat such a variety of foods and I honestly believe that's what keeps such good color and lack of aggregation in the tank also.
Corals get feed 5 x a week.
Thanks we have been very lucky.

DocHogan
03/29/2014, 09:38 PM
I'm amazed at the type of fish you have and the numbers and the tank looking so good. I got your feeding schedule etc. Can you tell us a bit about the equipment your using and your maintenance schedule? Very very nice.

lllesley
03/30/2014, 12:09 AM
I'm amazed at the type of fish you have and the numbers and the tank looking so good. I got your feeding schedule etc. Can you tell us a bit about the equipment your using and your maintenance schedule? Very very nice.
Well once again thanks. I read lots and lots and tons and tons.I knew nothing about this hobby until 12months ago. Think a large tank has helped lots. Are you suggesting that we have too many fish ? Or non reef safe ones ? I hope not ???/
Full length overflow with bean animal silent setup.
sump 120x60x60 split into 4 Skimmer/DSB/Liverock/Return
Lighting - ATI 8x80w
Skimmer Deltec TC2060
Flow - Tunze controller 7096
2 x tunze 6105
2 x tunze 6100 Storm cycle set once every hour.
4 STAGE RODI with TDS meter
Next reef xl media reactor (carbon)
Phosban reactor (rowaphos)

I water test all main parameters 2 x week and manually dose accordingly.
I do a 250 liter water change every 5-6 weeks.
Clean skimmer cup every 2 days. Run wet skim at all times.
I dose Red Sea Nopox daily as I want an algae free and low nutrient tank.
Blow off rocks and sandbed 1 x week before changing filter socks. (corals love it, fish not so much) lol.
Use Red sea Reef energy A & B 5 times a week and target feed all corals 2 x week.
Clean glass with algae scrubber twice a week.

RubenG88
03/30/2014, 06:42 AM
Very nice

DocHogan
03/30/2014, 06:30 PM
Well once again thanks. I read lots and lots and tons and tons.I knew nothing about this hobby until 12months ago. Think a large tank has helped lots. Are you suggesting that we have too many fish ? Or non reef safe ones ? I hope not ???/
Full length overflow with bean animal silent setup.
sump 120x60x60 split into 4 Skimmer/DSB/Liverock/Return
Lighting - ATI 8x80w
Skimmer Deltec TC2060
Flow - Tunze controller 7096
2 x tunze 6105
2 x tunze 6100 Storm cycle set once every hour.
4 STAGE RODI with TDS meter
Next reef xl media reactor (carbon)
Phosban reactor (rowaphos)

I water test all main parameters 2 x week and manually dose accordingly.
I do a 250 liter water change every 5-6 weeks.
Clean skimmer cup every 2 days. Run wet skim at all times.
I dose Red Sea Nopox daily as I want an algae free and low nutrient tank.
Blow off rocks and sandbed 1 x week before changing filter socks. (corals love it, fish not so much) lol.
Use Red sea Reef energy A & B 5 times a week and target feed all corals 2 x week.
Clean glass with algae scrubber twice a week.

No not suggesting anything at all. Just rare to see such a good looking tank with that many difficult fish in it. I'm very impressed. Have you had any ich issues?

lllesley
03/30/2014, 06:41 PM
We had ich on one of the blue hippo tangs when we first put him in the tank that spread to the foxface and yellow tang and nasso. We fed them extra, extra water changes made sure there was no aggression in the tank and all parameters were meticulous. and within 2 weeks were completely fine. We understand the ICH still lives in the tank but should not rear its ugly head again if fish are healthy and not stressed. We have not seen any signs of it for 7 months now. I also have been told that once a fish has fought it off naturally they are very unlikely to get a bad case again but a much minor case if they happen to get it at all. ICH seems to effect sick, stressed or weak fish and we don't have any of them so crossing fingers. lol
I am interested in which fish you consider difficult ?
The only fish I think are classed as difficult are the male & female green spotted dragonets. They are both eating brine, mysis and we have plenty of copepods. They have just recently started eating flakes too.