PDA

View Full Version : New AIO coming in: Which final pieces of equipment to get? Test Kits, Pumps, etc.

SonRK
03/29/2014, 10:45 AM
Hello all

My Nuvo Fusion 30L tank is coming in on Tuesday, and as long as it comes undamaged, I can start the water cycle as soon as I get home early Tuesday evening.

Here is what I have so far:

Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 30L
+ Matching Stand (this was an expensive purchase, but it came early and I'm relatively pleased with it)

Reef Radiance 155e (hasn't shipped yet, and I know I can't keep most SPS, but I'm okay with this for now)
+ Reef Radiance Mount (http://reefradiance.com/uploads/3/2/1/5/3215847/2541683.png?222?865929?349206) Since the Nuvo Fusion 30L has like...a lid, I may have to cut the lid to fit these mounts :(

Cobalt Neo-Therm 150W heater

20 lbs Reef Saver Dry Rock from BRS
20 lbs Live Sand from BRS

ATC Refractometer + Calibrating Fluid
BRS RO/DI 4-stage unit
50lbs of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

So now I need some suggestions on what I should order next.

I'm thinking about 5lbs of live rock? or additional dry rock from somewhere like Marc or something.

I also would like a protein skimmer that would fit nicely. I hear the Innovative Marine one causes a lot of micro bubbles and such?

Do I need more pumps? Hydor ones seem to be used a lot and Vortech is the apparently considered the premium ones. If I get either, which ones do you guys recommend?

Also, fish food. Which ones do you guys recommend? I know I won't have to worry about it for approx 4 weeks (until cycle completes), but I want to keep the following livestock: 2 clowns (is there any way to prevent them from mating? I don't want to deal with a bunch of baby fish), goby + shrimp pair, and a Chromis fish or Cardinal fish. I keep hearing that PE Mysis is good all around food?

Testing Kits, which of the myriad ones do you guys use? I am confused on which one to get here as well.

Auto Top Off - I assume the JBJ one is the most affordable and decent one?

ggk1988
03/29/2014, 12:21 PM
Adding 5lbs of live rock will help seed your dry rock, most likely wont speed up your cycle all that much. But you do get the benefit of all the little critters (good and bad) that come with live rock. 1 Vortech MP10 would be more than enough for this tank. Cant help with the skimmer question. Those fish would do well on most foods. New Life Spectrum pellets are popular as a all around food. Personally I use API for basic testing pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Never had a problem with them. ATO I use the Tunze but many people are happy with JBJ

ReneeF
03/29/2014, 12:30 PM
Congrats on the new tank! I would possibly add a bit more rock. Recommended is about one pound per gallon so maybe three more pounds?

I feed spirulina brine shrimp, but would also like to add something else to the mix. I believe a variety of food will keep healthier fish/corals. I wouldn't worry about the fish spawning. The eggs will most likely end up as part of the varied diet :eek1:

I have the API master kit, but would not recommend it due to its inaccuracies. The phosphate test is a joke. I've heard great things about the Red Sea kit. I have the smart ATO which has a small footprint, I like it. I have heard good things about the jbj as well. Good luck, and post pictures of the progress!

dkeller_nc
03/29/2014, 12:40 PM
Start with test kits. Since you want to keep coral, and are also cycling a tank, this is what I'd recommend:

Salifert Ammonia
Salifert Nitrate (you will use both of these to monitor your tank's cycle, and the Nitrate for on-going maintenance purposes)

Salifert Calcium
Salifert Alkalinity

Later on, you can add:

Salifert or Red Sea Pro Magnesium
Hanna Checker 713 Phosphate photometer/reagents.

For just the cycle purposes, you only need the Ammonia/Nitrate. The other test kits will be needed once you stock the tank with corals.

Yes, you will definitely need additional flow in the tank. If you have the coin, I'd highly recommend 2 Vortech MP10w ES pumps. The reason you want 2 is that combination allows very complex ebb/flow patterns in the tank, which is highly beneficial to corals and nutrient management.

If funds are tight, then I would suggest 4 Hydro Koralia Nano 240 pumps. You can start with 2 pumps if you like, then add more later.

The skimmer is a tough one - the problem is that AIO designs are very tight on space, so you're going to be limited to something like the IM Aquagadget, the E-Shopps Nano, the Hydor Slim Skims, etc... My experience with skimmers over the years leads me to advise you to look into the E-shopps model. While the mounting magnets get panned in the forums, the use of a Sicce pump in the skimmer pretty much ensures quiet and trouble-free operation.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a decent auto top off unit. The Tunze Universal Osmolator is the standard to which all others are held, and the others usually do poorly. A possible exception would be the AutoAqua ATO, but since it is so new, the jury's still out.

And, probably more important than anything else - at least a 10 gallon tank, some means of circulating the water in it (whether small propeller pump or air stone/air pump), and a heater. This is your quarantine tank; don't introduce fish into your main display until you've set this up and used it!

SonRK
03/29/2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses.

The $1 a gallon goes on sale soon, was totally gonna pick up a 10 gallon tank as quarantine tank. I was reading up on those topics before I came back to check here.

crock921
03/29/2014, 02:32 PM
Check out the Tunze 3152. It is an ATO they make specifically for nano tanks, and is about half the price of the 3155.

I upgraded my return pump and added a hydor 425 powerhead inside. I have decent flow with that for now. Other than that, sounds like you hit most of the major upgrades and toys.