PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel with open sore....

kleach
03/30/2014, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Yesterday I was looking at my flame angel and he looked fine. In fact, I was paying particular attention to his stripes because I realized that his stripes were mis-barred compared to other flames and I thought it was pretty cool. He was swimming, eating and being himself.

Today, as I went to begin my water change on the tank I saw him staying in a little cave and breathing heavily. I then noticed that there was an open sore right along the last stripe closest to his tail-fin. My first reaction was maybe a rock fel on him and hurt him, but thats not the case. He is hovering there, came out for about 30 seconds when i turned the light on, took one lap and went right back into the cave.

I immediately did my water change (5 gallons on a 29 gallon biocube) and removed all gfo and carbon and dosed with ruby reef Rally medication for bacterial infections. I tried feeding the tank and he showed no interest in eating. In general he is a pig and is pleasantly plump.

i would take a picture but these no way the camera could capture the sore since he is shaded in the rock work. Any Ideas????

Tank Information:
29 gallon biocube (my QT tank)
2 black ice clowns and a royal gramma
Had a swalesi basslet for 2 weeks which died (my assumption was starvation because he was super skinny and nearly impossible to get to eat)
Had flame angel in there for months alone because he ate my coral in DT and added other fish about a month ago.
Tested for ammonia only (time crunch) and it was zero
5 Gallon weekly water changes for the past month to cut down on waste from new fish.

HumbleFish
03/30/2014, 10:08 AM
If it is a bacterial infection, "Ruby Reef Rally" isn't going to help much. The mfg website lists 3 active ingredients: acriflavine, aminoacridine and formalin. Of those three, only acriflavine may help with infection... but that is more useful for fungal infections, quite rare in s/w fish.

kleach
03/30/2014, 11:13 AM
Went to LFS and got another med. he looks like he starts tipping over and then correcting his movements back to upright. Any particular meds to look for? I think he's circling the drain, but I still wanna give him a fighting chance.

HumbleFish
03/30/2014, 11:43 AM
Sounds like the fish is doing bad, so I would go with either Furan-2 or Kanaplex. Assuming this is a bacterial infection, of course. The "open sore" thing could also mean Uronema marinum, so I would Google that as well.

Newsmyrna80
03/30/2014, 11:47 AM
You added another fish to the QT a month ago? What kind of fish did you add? Could it be aggression from the other fish? I would take the Ruby Reef out. Without seeing the injury it's hard to determine what meds to treat with.

kleach
03/30/2014, 01:19 PM
I don't think he was stressed by the other fish because the clowns are very small, the royal gramma is maybe 2 inches and the swalesi basslet never came out of the rocks a d was scared of its own shadow. No one seemed to bother anyone else. Everyone minds their own business.

I'm not home but got another update that his mouth is touching the sand and he's not moving, but still alive. Should I consider euthanizing him? It seems that he's circling the drain and I really don't want him to suffer...it's not fair to him.

kleach
03/30/2014, 01:29 PM
Btw the name of the meds I got from LFS is melafix. My father went to pick it up for me, showed the guy the picture and he said that might be the best bet.

I sti have the 5 gallons from my water change so I could always go pick up another small tank and treAt him in that with meds that you guys think might work better or faster.

Also, apparently he got ****ed when my father tried to take him out (though he was dead) and he moved to another little cage in the rocks

kleach
03/30/2014, 03:45 PM
Ok, I just got home and he's not good at all. He lost a lot of his color, is upside down wedged between 2 rocks and breathing heavily. What is the most humane way to euthanize him?

I will also post pictures of him after he passes to see if anyone can identify what potentially caused this, and if the other fish are in danger of catching the same thing.

I've seen my LFS put fish in bags and then put them in the freezer. They claim the cold causes them to go to sleep and then pass quickly, but I dont know if I believe that or not.

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!

Newsmyrna80
03/30/2014, 04:34 PM
I use clove oil to euthanize. You can get it at any GNC store. I wish I could help you more but without seeing a pic of the fish it's hard to tell what it is.