PDA

View Full Version : Just spent 10 gallons sucking out hair and red slime algae

Dankrencisz
03/30/2014, 01:09 PM
Fun fun fun. Thankfully I had enough RO/DI water to make up enough saltwater to refill the tank.

Ahh, the joys of this hobby. Impromptu water changes.

maddmaxx
03/30/2014, 02:21 PM
hopefully you let the new talk water mix for a couple hrs before adding it to your tank...

do you have GFO running to help curb the algae?

davidfrances
03/30/2014, 02:25 PM
Buy a HOT magnum canister filter, use the micron cartridge, attach a length of vinyl hose and siphon up the slime

Dankrencisz
03/30/2014, 04:08 PM
I have a fluval canister. Wonder if I can make that work. I see in the marine depot catalog they have a powered vac that recirculates the water back in the tank. $97. Maybe it's worth it?

No, I don't have GFO and I let it mix for about an hour while I was cleaning up the mess I made.

Thinking a GFO tumbler and an Apex are my next gadget purchases.

Dankrencisz
03/30/2014, 04:09 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/gamyba6y.jpg

Fish_King_25
03/30/2014, 07:09 PM
I have a fluval canister. Wonder if I can make that work. I see in the marine depot catalog they have a powered vac that recirculates the water back in the tank. $97. Maybe it's worth it?

No, I don't have GFO and I let it mix for about an hour while I was cleaning up the mess I made.

Thinking a GFO tumbler and an Apex are my next gadget purchases.

I just spent the last 3 months or so in your shoes my friend but (god help me knock on wood) I have finally beaten it, and I plan on staying ahead of the algae forever lol.

+1 on the GFO reactor..That was by far the biggest help for me. I also had a lot of success with Algaefix Marine by API. A lot of people are very against adding any chemical products to their tank (I, myself am not a fan) but I was at my breaking point, and was ready to break down and get out of the hobby all together.

Stay on top of WC's, feed less, and get a great CUC and you'll be well on your way. CUC is IME the biggest tool. The right critters will help things considerably.

asudavew
03/30/2014, 10:17 PM
If you have a sump just set up a filter sock in it and syphon from the DT into the sock. Then you can clean until your heart's content or until your tank is clean. Whichever comes first.

Dankrencisz
03/31/2014, 01:40 AM
If you have a sump just set up a filter sock in it and syphon from the DT into the sock. Then you can clean until your heart's content or until your tank is clean. Whichever comes first.

+1

This is a great idea. I honestly never thought of this. I do have a sump and a 200 micron filter sock.

Genius.

Dankrencisz
03/31/2014, 01:45 AM
+1 on the GFO reactor..That was by far the biggest help for me.

The right critters will help things considerably.

GFO and CUC will be ordered this week

Dankrencisz
04/01/2014, 10:16 AM

Was a genius idea....until... dumb dumb doesn't clean out the sock after sucking up a fair amount if sand and it overflows.

Note to self, drop the sock down a little further in the sump. Duh!

Luckily I caught it before Iost too much water.