PDA

View Full Version : Zoa eating bristleworm!

alb_56
03/30/2014, 10:26 PM
So I have this rock thats been having problems and I put it in this tank to get healthy. Im randomly checking on things tonight and caught some pictures of this guy out and about. I shined the light on him and snapped a picture and didnt think anything of it, I came back for a second look and he retracts with a zoa head in his hands.

First picture
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o648/alb_42/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf3bd6f66.jpg

Second picture
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o648/alb_42/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6dd9ab1d.jpg

Zoa stealing
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o648/alb_42/Mobile%20Uploads/05d9787d-bc24-47f7-a5db-29a1cae683f7_zps11b41089.jpg

So looking past the fact that this little SOB has a zoa in his hands. There are a few very sickly zoas on this rock, and this zoa head could have possibly been very close to dead. The question is, is this a zoa eating species of bristleworm, or is this just a good little worm doing his job and cleaning up dead/semi dead zoas?

accordsirh22
03/31/2014, 12:13 AM
looks like a reg ol bristly, probably just eating a dead one, i have plenty that live among my zoas, and i haven't seen them eating polyps

terrypercula
03/31/2014, 05:45 AM
I highly doubt it's eating healthy zoas but I suppose anything is possible.

Tweaked
03/31/2014, 08:24 PM
Bristles are the best thing in your colony. Not a bad thing in your reef, and look forward to seeing them now. Used to have allot, and like all other things, they equal out over time due to available food.

A. Grandis
04/02/2014, 01:45 AM
Huuummm...

I still don't understand where some people get the idea of keeping fire worms as a good thing.
1) They can hurt us, if touched by accident.
2) Some species could grow way too much!
3) They could have the ability to attack some fishes at night.
4) Some species do eat healthy zoas/corals.

My suggestion? Take that worm out of the system ASAP! :hmm4:

Grandis.

alb_56
04/02/2014, 07:12 AM
I agree with you, Grandis. I was wondering when bristle worms went from being completely removed from a tank to "the best thing in a colony". Not that they arent helpful most of the time, just that it only takes one to start eating a coral, and then lose an entire colony. All because I didnt pay attention to its habits and just assumed it was just cleaning.

P.S. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. It does help a lot to hear what you guys think is going on with it.

reefwars
04/02/2014, 03:28 PM
I agree with you, Grandis. I was wondering when bristle worms went from being completely removed from a tank to "the best thing in a colony". Not that they arent helpful most of the time, just that it only takes one to start eating a coral, and then lose an entire colony. All because I didnt pay attention to its habits and just assumed it was just cleaning.

P.S. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. It does help a lot to hear what you guys think is going on with it.

bristle worms actually help in the long term battle of keeping your liverocks core ditrius free, as time goes by the pores become clogged or even coraline encrusted. alot of nasty creatures are at work in places you'd never expect or cant see.

if that one is there there are many more that you dont see especially deep in the rock.....a quick cut of a large rock in half would surprise you how deep they can go, forever burrowing looking for food.

largest i found in one of my systems was just under 20" long many years ago, he got sumped due to size but for the most part their numbers can be kept in check easily and they do a great natural job of keeping the rocks pores clean:)

hth

A. Grandis
04/02/2014, 08:17 PM
I had them before and the rocks were as dirty as they are today. :hmm3:
Actually, not that bad, by the way.
But no difference...

Easier/safer to just syphon the detritus while doing water changes.
Have you got hurt by those before?
I don't see any need for those worms, really.
Well, as we know, we're all different and like different ways/things.
I guess it's just a matter of taste anyways... :)

Grandis.

reefwars
04/03/2014, 07:35 AM
I had them before and the rocks were as dirty as they are today. :hmm3:
Actually, not that bad, by the way.
But no difference...

Easier/safer to just syphon the detritus while doing water changes.
Have you got hurt by those before?
I don't see any need for those worms, really.
Well, as we know, we're all different and like different ways/things.
I guess it's just a matter of taste anyways... :)

Grandis.

The worms go far beyond what your flow can reach , or eyes can see, if you've ever cut a livestock in half you'll know the pores stretch far into the rock and that life doesn't stop at the surface.

Last I tried I couldn't siphon inside rock but you can? That's interesting for sure lol if there's a secret I haven't learned in 12 yrs to siphon out the center of rock I'd love to know it?

I have about 170 flow rate , double that required for sps and no sand bed so I don't think I'm worried about flow lol

Fact is they do a good job yes they are creepy and yes they have bristles but look past the ugly and see what they really do.

There's not many bristle worms hunting fish in fact they are to slow to do so , the only fish a bristle work can take out is a dying or weakened fish, since they are scavengers I doubt they are hunting larger fish down lol

In the many years in the hobby I have been in it I see many people saying throw them out......but the experienced see them as beneficial .

Just so were clear to getting rid of them is next to impossible , if you think you don't have them then think again;)

Like anything that's breeds that fast they need to be kept in check or numbers get out of hand, other harmless animals are the same like stomatella snails, feather dusters, sponges etc. too much of anything can always be bad.

I see them as more beneficial than harmful by far some would need more than they are creepy, have bristles, or possibly hunt fish at larger sizes lol :)

Problem with the hobby today is a lot of people think that if the eyes can't witness it then it's not happening lol think bigger picture my friend , think long term effects.

Eunice worm now is different but a bristle worm really isn't a major threat , if it is then your tank or livestock were already hurting , as for being stuck I am a aquaculture coral farmer and work in the trade so I grow,cut and demolish rocks on a daily basis I probably have been stuck more times than you or most people do lol also if you have a traditional display your only reaching in once in a while no? Well I'm in there all day every day , cutting rock and seeing what they do first hand , again look past what your eyes see on the surface you'll be surprised how far your ecosystem reaches and what a lot of these animals be it visual or microscopic are doing 24/7 ;)

But yes they are creepy but so are spiders and we don't see what they do just by glancing at them....no we need to look at the bigger picture.

Hth

Denny

reefwars
04/03/2014, 07:36 AM
Ok how about chiton's they don't have bristles, don't eat fish or inverts and are mostly nocturnal so would you say a chiton is beneficial or harmless?

A. Grandis
04/03/2014, 01:04 PM
Well, I don't see a connection between chitons and fire worms.
Chitons, cucumbers, Turbo snails, etc.. are OK IMO.

I don't see necessity to have the fire worms, really.
I've never had them in any of my systems and there is no need to introduce them to keep them "clean". That's the point.

I've had friends telling me the trouble with the worms nipping on fishes' fins at night. Also, healthy zoas were killed by fire worms too.

Bacteria will do a much better job in the rocks (pores/deeper holes) then fire worms. If you don't have the fire worms there will be absolutely no difference in regards to how "clean" your system will be. There is no real necessity for the those worms in order to keep the system "clean".

I was referring to the superficial detritus on rocks when I've mentioned syphoning. Deeper detritus in the rocks and bottom substrates are well maintained by the bacteria.

BUT, we do what we please. :thumbsup:

Grandis.

reefwars
04/03/2014, 01:45 PM
still .....while there are many species of fireworms (over 100) the majority are proven scavengers and do a great job , theres very few species that eat corals as its main diet(i think one maybe two) and they are most def beneficial.

this hobby is so full of well i dont use this so its not needed lol so much to the point we tend to not look outside our own box ..... kinda like the guy who feeds and the guy who doesnt right?

reefwars
04/03/2014, 01:50 PM
I've had friends telling me the trouble with the worms nipping on fishes' fins at night. Also, healthy zoas were killed by fire worms too.

theres a good example of im told it so its true.....

fireworms dont have jaws they lick there prey lol because of this there really isnt much in the way of fireworms that eat corals lol

BlueFyre
04/03/2014, 02:01 PM
I added bristleworms to my system for diversity lol.

I've never had an issue with them. I put my hands in the tank all the time and I have yet to be stung. I did have a wrasse get a face full of bristles once. He ate normally and healed up just fine.

reefwars
04/03/2014, 02:10 PM
I added bristleworms to my system for diversity lol.

I've never had an issue with them. I put my hands in the tank all the time and I have yet to be stung. I did have a wrasse get a face full of bristles once. He ate normally and healed up just fine.

they learn after a while lol if not then its a sore beard :P

A. Grandis
04/03/2014, 08:08 PM
I have no problem at all if you guys want to have them in your systems. LOL!!
I don't think I would suggest nor have them in mine. No need for those.

Grandis.