PDA

View Full Version : BRS Calcium Conversion Question

firstlight10
03/31/2014, 07:45 AM
I am currently dosing 10ml of BRS Calcium solution per day. I am switching to calcium chloride crystals. How many ML of their calcium chloride crystals are equivalent to 10ml of solution?

HighlandReefer
03/31/2014, 07:59 AM
It will depend on the concentration of calcium chloride in the crystals.

Randy explains how to mix the crystals with water and how to dose it in this article:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

From it:

"Recipe # 1, Part 1: The Calcium Part

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride or ESV calcium chloride; see below for substitutes and sources) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You can dissolve it in about ½ gallon of water, and then pour that into the 1 gallon container and fill it to the top with more freshwater. This solution has about 37,000 ppm calcium.

Figure 1. A bag of Dowflake obtained at a Home Depot store
in the Boston area. Photo by Moe Kirby.

If you use an anhydrous or monohydrate calcium chloride (such as Dow Mini-Pellets, Kent's Turbo Calcium, Prestone Driveway Heat or Peladow Calcium Chloride), then you should use about 20% (1/5) less solid calcium chloride by volume to make the recipe. Note that the solution will get quite hot when dissolving anhydrous calcium chloride. See the section on substitutions for further information.

Figure 2. A container of Peladow obtained at a supply store
in the Boston area (Amesbury Industrial Supply).
Photo by Patrick Higgins."

HighlandReefer
03/31/2014, 08:14 AM
Looking at the BRS site their Calcium Chloride is crystalline dihydrate . So you use the top recipe, If that is the crystals you plan to use. ;)

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You would then dose 10 ml of this solution which is the same as the liquid BRS solution.

firstlight10
03/31/2014, 08:22 AM
I should have phrased it better. I am looking how many ML of the BRS calcium chloride crystals equals 10ML when they are in solution.

HighlandReefer
03/31/2014, 08:34 AM
1 cup = about 237 mls. 2.5 cups = 593 mls of crystals per 1 gallon of water

1 gallon = 3785 mls

594 mls of crystals per 3785 mls of water.

594/3785 = 0.157 mls crystals per 1 ml of water.

10 mls x 0.157 = 1.57 mls of crystals in 10 mls of water. approximately

Accuracy may vary since moisture in the air can be absorbed by the crystals. Keep the crystal container air tight. ;)

Also, Randy's formula is based on approximate crystal particle size in the container. Finer particle would make it more concentrated. You are taking a small number of crystals which could further skew the results. It would be better to mix the proper amount of crystals in 1 gallon for more reliable results IMO.

Using weight (grams) of crystals for measuring would produce more accurate results provided moisture was not allowed to enter the storage container for measuring small amounts. ;)

HighlandReefer
03/31/2014, 08:57 AM
500 grams of crystals per 3785 mls of water.

500/3785 = 0.132 grams per 1 ml of water

1.32 grams crystals per 10 mls of water. This would be more accurate. ;)

firstlight10
03/31/2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks Highlander. I keep all my crystals in sealed containers.