PDA

View Full Version : Question: Calcium Reactors

oshanickreef
03/31/2014, 12:00 PM
So i have been wondering about calcium reactors. i currently have the 3 part BRS dosing pumps running. if i were to do a calcium reactor. would that replace my dosing pumps?

d2mini
03/31/2014, 12:19 PM
So i have been wondering about calcium reactors. i currently have the 3 part BRS dosing pumps running. if i were to do a calcium reactor. would that replace my dosing pumps?

Depends.
I've decided to hold on to mine.
CaRx do a good job at holding parameters steady but it's very difficult to increase levels with one. You'll constantly be chasing numbers. So it's better to use dosing of some means (dosing pumps or manually) to get parameters where you want them, then use the CaRx to hold them there.

tkeracer619
03/31/2014, 12:27 PM
With a properly setup reactor you shouldn't have to mess with levels much. You will have to adjust for increased demand. I just dose by hand when its time to adjust. That is only a few times a year and usually after water changes.

If you are constantly chasing numbers then you have a consistency issue.

ridetheducati
03/31/2014, 01:03 PM
with a properly setup reactor you shouldn't have to mess with levels much. You will have to adjust for increased demand. I just dose by hand when its time to adjust. That is only a few times a year and usually after water changes.

If you are constantly chasing numbers then you have a consistency issue.

+1

ThreeMoneyJ
03/31/2014, 01:25 PM
I love my CA reactor. I've never looked back at dosing 2 part, but I keep it around just in case. When you first bring it online it's a bit of work to get dialed in, but once I had mine dialed in it became a no brainer. Every once in awhile I'll have to increase the output as my corals, but you need to do the same with dosing anyhow.

das75
03/31/2014, 02:05 PM
with a Ca rx no need for your dosing pumps, though a continous duty peristaltic pump could be handy for a feed pump for your reactor

LobsterOfJustice
03/31/2014, 02:42 PM
I ran a CaRx for years and now I use two part. If I were to ever use a CaRx again, it would be with an appropriate peristaltic pump.

In theory, yes a reactor will replace your dosing pump setup. Why are you considering switching?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/31/2014, 05:30 PM
Depending on what media you use, and what salt mix for water changes, you may find that you still need the magnesium dosing even with a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.

You may also find that unless your salt mix matches the tank target in terms of calcium and alkalinity, that you may need to occasionaly make adjustments.