PDA

View Full Version : New Magnificent Anemone Question/Stress

Squidmotron
04/01/2014, 10:35 AM
So, I finally got myself a magnificent (formerly known as Ritteri) anemone, and it's quite the specimen. I overpaid a lot and it was from iBluewater.

I had researched extensively here what to do and I had spent months preparing for it. I have the cipro and QT.

But, the iBluewater told me that it was already treated with cipro and the shipping time was short so I just put it in the tank right after acclimation.

It moved to an odd spot. A spot with both low flow and low light. Its not on a rock -- it's on the the bottom plastic part of the internal overflow. And it hasn't moved for 3 days.

It's tentacles are not flat and it has expanded to at least 4X it's original size, but it is certainly not what I would call thriving. They are stubby rather than extended and wavy. My two percula clowns are already harassing it. That took about 3 seconds. I have not fed it.

What should be my course now, anemone experts?

Wait?
Try to get it out an hospitalize again? But it's already been treated once. Will it work again? If I try to get it out, how do I go about it? It's not on a rock.

Thank you very much. I am quite concerned.

OrionN
04/01/2014, 10:38 AM
Pictures?

nemmy
04/01/2014, 11:19 AM
Really need to see it to know what's going on. As far as short stubby tentacles some are like that and some are long and wavy. Depends on the anemone. One of mine stays stubby and fat tentacled the other looks like a shag carpet.

M Woodhill
04/01/2014, 12:21 PM
for my best knowledge, mag actually shun lights when acclimating itself to a new environment. I usually put a cover on it or just let it go either attached to under a rock or wherever it finds dim enough

if it shows no inflation-deflation cycle, don't guess it's a problem and it'll sooner or later start to move to the brightetst spot. well, pay attention to powerheads coz my last one just smashed itself up :-(

Squidmotron
04/01/2014, 12:56 PM
It has shown no delation/inflation cycle, but nor is it flourishing. It has only slowly inflated. It's mouth looks distended. I will photo it today when I return if I don't see improvement and see what you guys think.

M Woodhill
04/01/2014, 01:04 PM
It has shown no delation/inflation cycle, but nor is it flourishing. It has only slowly inflated. It's mouth looks distended. I will photo it today when I return if I don't see improvement and see what you guys think.

slowly inflated? so it was deflated? well, pictures r way better than words. finger cross u, bud

Squidmotron
04/01/2014, 01:08 PM
It was deflated after it shipped.

M Woodhill
04/01/2014, 01:10 PM
It was deflated after it shipped.

yup it sure would and the inflation could take a while.

nemmy
04/01/2014, 01:39 PM
So far sounds pretty normal. Mines mouth was out like a finger for a day. Was long as heck.

lemec
04/01/2014, 01:53 PM
my red carpet from them died within a week, hope you have better luck!

Squidmotron
04/01/2014, 09:00 PM
Well. Ok. Forget pictures. It now looks worse, obviously. Don't need any help telling now.

I'm hospital tanking following the procedures here.

Can the same anemone be cipro'd more than once in it's lifetime?

M Woodhill
04/01/2014, 09:15 PM
Well. Ok. Forget pictures. It now looks worse, obviously. Don't need any help telling now.

finger cross u dude

all I can say this little devil is really the trickiest of its kind. should it perishes, you'd better try some cheaper ones for the sake of your wallet

:headwally:

ca1ore
04/01/2014, 09:33 PM

Yes, they can. As many cycles as it takes. That the nem was treated prior to shipment really doesn't mean all that much. These animals just don't ship well and it could easily have stared a new infection.

davocean
04/01/2014, 09:34 PM

You might as well try, you have no idea what kind of treatment actually occurred before shipping to you.
Pics really help w/ advice, show whats happening for best advice.

OrionN
04/02/2014, 04:35 AM
I just finish treating one of my Gigantea with the second cycle of antibiotic. He did not response well to Cipro so I used Septra DS. Works well and he is now back in the system. I promised him to a reefer so I put him in my frag tank, hook up to my DT system, instead of my DT.

Squidmotron
04/02/2014, 10:24 AM
Ha! You always want pictures. Bunch of voyeurs!

Nah, I put him in hospital. Cipro following the exact instructions here. This may sound strange, but even after only 1 day he/she/it looks better.

Two random (maybe stupid questions).

1) I'm just using a small T5 fixture in hospital. It only has 2 T5 (10K) bulbs in it, although it is literally right above the water of my 20 gallon hospital. Will this be sufficient for the process?
2) He had clung to a rock and I just took him out attached to a single rock. Will the bacteria die-off be super problematic in some way? Should I get that rock out of there? He is REALLY grabbing on to it.

OrionN
04/02/2014, 10:39 AM
When they response to treatment, I get better really quickly.

I don't think the bacterial in the rock will cause problem. Once you get the rock back to the tank, the normal bacterial population will reestablish quickly in that rock. The bacterial biomass on/in the rock is minimal and should cause no/minimal change in water condition.

Low lighting is OK short term. with good lighting, they may best boost from energy, other than that, they will just shrink a little in the Treatment tank.

Squidmotron
04/02/2014, 10:50 AM
That is good news, thanks. It would make things so much easier on me and the anemone if I can just leave him attached to that rock. And hopefully I can eventually transfer him back to the tank that way.

nemmy
04/02/2014, 11:47 AM
I treated mine while on a rock the second time around. Stayed on the rock the entire time and put the rock back in the display with no issue to be seen.

Also, pictures. We love pictures, we love mags, and we love seeing all the cool crazy color combinations of them.

Squidmotron
04/02/2014, 12:10 PM
Holy crap. You people are geniuses with this Cipro technique. Amazing immediate results! The anemone has about doubled in size (the size I order was "variable" so I didn't realize it was that enormous).

And yes, I do want to take a picture of it when I put it back in the tank (if this really works). It is absolutely beautiful.

Without the internet, I would never in a million years have figured out that the reason the anemone was suffering is that somehow it got a bacterial infection due to shipping stress. It certainly didn't LOOK infected any way that I would intuitively imagine an infection to look.

Squidmotron
04/11/2014, 01:42 PM

(crappy iPhone photo)

Ok, so it went through QT with cipro. About a 1.5 weeks? I'm exhausted from replacing water every day. It was looking better.

I put in the tank and it retracted a bit from the fullness it was displaying. However, it is not really fully deflating ever... which I suppose is good. I'm not sure since I'm not an expert or anything.

One thing that's odd to me, not knowing a lot.... The mouth is really distended and sticking out. It's not open or anything, but is that normal?

It took the 2 clowns 2.5 seconds before trying to move into it.

ca1ore
04/11/2014, 02:13 PM
Holy crap. You people are geniuses with this Cipro technique. Amazing immediate results! The anemone has about doubled in size (the size I order was "variable" so I didn't realize it was that enormous).

All credit to OrionN - the rest of us are just slavish followers :lol:

Reefahholic
04/11/2014, 03:35 PM
Nice mag!