PDA

View Full Version : A beginner needs some expert opinions on first time used setup.

Golden Age
04/01/2014, 12:56 PM
Hi all, I'm in the process of setting up my first reef tank. I've been taking it slow and acquiring pieces little by little over months but I'm getting towards the end stage where I'm going to fill it up and needed some advice on some loose ends. It's been a long patient process so this post may be a bit long since there are a few things I have questions about and wanted to get opinions of experienced reef keepers…

I purchased a used 75 gallon that someone had outgrown after they set up a 110 gallon. For $200 I got the tank, stand, canopy, 30gal sump and 2 metal halide lights (bulbs will need replacing soon). I found this to be a good price to start off so I jumped on it. It wasn't drilled so I'll be using an overflow box.

Here's where my questions come in….

I've been visiting my LFS for a few weeks and getting to know them and their equipment and they had just gotten a shipment of Fiji rock. It was wrapped in newspaper and the owner offered it to me at $200 for 50 pounds to get rid of it. This comes out to about $4 a pound, which when I saw the live rock he was selling at $7 a pound seemed like a deal, but the rock is wet and smells bad so wouldn't this be dead rock that I could have gotten a lot cheaper somewhere else? Basically, did I get ripped off or not really?

What do I need to do to prepare the rock to begin my cycle? I'm confused about "live" and "uncured" rock. I assumed live rock was any rock that had already been in water, whether it is currently out of it or not and that base rock was just rock that had never touched water. Do I need to "cure" it or should I just put it in and let it do it's thing? I have tons of patience so if it takes months before I can add any inhabitants, that is perfectly fine, I just want to do it right from the start no matter how long it takes.

Another thing is the sump/refugium that came with this used setup I purchased is pretty dirty and I'm thinking of getting a new refugium down the line but it will be a month or more before I can afford one so would it be better to wait to get a new sump/refugium before filling it with water from my RO/DI system (one of the things I've picked up in the process of getting ready) or would it be okay to start my new system with the old sump/refugium and what problems could arise from that?

And if I do decide to get a new sump/refugium instead of using the used one can I start the cycle with just live rock and a powerhead in the meantime since there won't be any inhabitants for awhile or is it best to wait or just use the used sump?

Sorry for the long post, but I've been putting this together for awhile and wanted to get some opinions from you fine folks who have been doing this for a long time with great success.

Cymonous
04/01/2014, 01:17 PM
It sounds like to me the rock you got is not live anymore. Live rock is rock that has been cycled and kept wet enough to not allow dieoff. So, you have dead rock as to say and did get ripped some.

I would just add in your rock to the tank, mixed saltwater and the sand. You probably won't have to add anything to start the cycle since you will have ammonia from the dieoff of the rock. The tank will then go through its normal cycle.

You could clean the sump with bleach, then vinegar instead of buying a new one. If it has stuff on the inside, use a razor blade.

You can also make a new sump if you are not happy with the old one. Just get a tank, pieces of glass and GE Silicon I to make the baffles.

GTboosted
04/01/2014, 01:25 PM
For the rock, it all depends on how long it was left out of the water. Even if everything died on it, $4/lb is not terribly bad but not good either.

I never bothered with curing, I would just start the cycle and monitor the water while doing water changes.

Also, as long you give the sump a good rinse/scrub you can use it if it fits your needs. Sumps are used to house your equipment, getting a new shiny one does not necessarily make it better unless the previous one was a bad design. You can start the cycle now and easily add a sump later since you are using an overflow.

CoralReeForrest
04/01/2014, 03:47 PM
What's been said. Since your just starting your tank toss it in. I would say wash it or rinse it with rodi water first, use a brush to scrape off the die off if there is a lot and then just put it in.

Sk8r
04/01/2014, 05:09 PM
JUst be patient. If the rock is all the way dead, it's a problem, but I'm betting the interior has plenty of good bacteria. May take up to 12 weeks for cycle or much less.

Golden Age
04/12/2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the help. I got it up and running today after cycling with just powerbeads for a week, I finally set up my sump.

Problem is the tank is still dirty. I did water changes but it's not clearing up. Any ideas on what I can do to get this tank clear and less dirty? It's ugly right now.

I can't afford a skimmer right now, but I've seen pics of other tanks that don't run a skimmer during the cycle and they are clean and clear.

I did nothing but put the rock in. Added nothing else.

Is this normal? It's been like this since I first put the rock in and ran the power heads last week.

http://i61.*******.com/bjbcjr.jpg

ReeferBill
04/12/2014, 09:13 PM
I am with CoralREEForest you have a good chance that the inside of your rock still has life! You have nothing to lose so give it a try!

Crooked Reef
04/13/2014, 12:09 AM
I purchased a used 75 gallon that someone had outgrown after they set up a 110 gallon. For $200 I got the tank, stand, canopy, 30gal sump and 2 metal halide lights (bulbs will need replacing soon). I found this to be a good price to start off so I jumped on it. It wasn't drilled so I'll be using an overflow box.

Good deal

Here's where my questions come in….

I've been visiting my LFS for a few weeks and getting to know them and their equipment and they had just gotten a shipment of Fiji rock. It was wrapped in newspaper and the owner offered it to me at $200 for 50 pounds to get rid of it. This comes out to about $4 a pound, which when I saw the live rock he was selling at $7 a pound seemed like a deal, but the rock is wet and smells bad so wouldn't this be dead rock that I could have gotten a lot cheaper somewhere else? Basically, did I get ripped off or not really?

Maybe but probably not. Bacteria inside the rock that make up the filtration is probably still alive therefore you have "live rock." Your LFS guy was probably just going to throw it in his curing tank and let it cure with other rock. By selling it to you at this price he probably made a little profit and kept the space open for another shipment. He could have cured it for a few weeks and sold it for $7 a pound or made the little profit from you and got new rock in in a week that he can cure for a couple of weeks and sell for $7 a pound. It is all profit to him anyway.

What do I need to do to prepare the rock to begin my cycle? I'm confused about "live" and "uncured" rock. I assumed live rock was any rock that had already been in water, whether it is currently out of it or not and that base rock was just rock that had never touched water. Do I need to "cure" it or should I just put it in and let it do it's thing? I have tons of patience so if it takes months before I can add any inhabitants, that is perfectly fine, I just want to do it right from the start no matter how long it takes.

Your rock needs to cure but since it is a new set up it will cure in the tank. Just brush it off as best you can and pop it in the tank. try to figure out your rockscape first. Its easier that way. Curing it in a seperate bin is more for adding additional rock to an existing tank.

Another thing is the sump/refugium that came with this used setup I purchased is pretty dirty and I'm thinking of getting a new refugium down the line but it will be a month or more before I can afford one so would it be better to wait to get a new sump/refugium before filling it with water from my RO/DI system (one of the things I've picked up in the process of getting ready) or would it be okay to start my new system with the old sump/refugium and what problems could arise from that?

Clean the current one with vinegar real good. If it is set up the way you want then there is no reason to replace it. If it is glass you can use a razor blade to scrape the glass to clean it up real good. Rinse and dry before filling it.

And if I do decide to get a new sump/refugium instead of using the used one can I start the cycle with just live rock and a powerhead in the meantime since there won't be any inhabitants for awhile or is it best to wait or just use the used sump?

Start the cycle even if you are replacing the sump. Get the rock wet as soon as you can. You dont want it to die more.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been putting this together for awhile and wanted to get some opinions from you fine folks who have been doing this for a long time with great success.

CoralReeForrest
04/13/2014, 03:31 PM
I am with CoralREEForest you have a good chance that the inside of your rock still has life! You have nothing to lose so give it a try!

Dang now why didnt I think of capitalizing the REEF part.

Golden Age
05/21/2014, 09:04 AM
Thanks again for all your help.

Going to keep this thread going with some more questions.

So after a couple of months, the cycle on my 75 gallon is complete. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, clear water and I have a small cleanup crew in there (3 red legged hermits, 3 blue legged hermits, 3 nessarius snails, 1 emerald crab and 1 peppermint shrimp.)

But my nitrates are still hovering between 20 and 40, even with weekly 20% water changes. I have an eshopps psk-100 skimmer that is doing okay, but not pulling much -- what else can I do to get my nitrates down? I'm want to get some occelarius clownfish in there soon but don't want to hurt them with 40 ppm nitrates and would prefer to have it much lower but I don't know what else to do.

Cymonous
05/21/2014, 09:25 AM
Add a reactor with gfo.