PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Sided vs Solon Fairy Wrasse

skiwez
04/01/2014, 01:18 PM
Hi,

Was hoping I get some feedback on what happened to my fairy wrasses this weekend.

I have 2 female Solon wrasses(Cirrhilabrus solorensis) in my tank about 3 weeks. And bought a yellow sided fairy (Cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis). Not sure if male or female. It went through a couple of weeks of QT was eating healthy with no sign of disease so I introduced it into the tank.

The larger of the two solon fairy wrasses took about 5 minutes to check him out and then ripped into him like no ones business. They circled each other, ripped at each other's fins just caused a general commotion in the tank. This lasted off and on for about 2 hours. By the time I was able to do anything they all settled down and are now living peacefully without any hint of aggression. Everyone is healing up nicely and eating well.

Tank is a 6 foot 225 with approx. 150lbs of liverock with lots of hiding spaces.

Is this normal behavior? Also thought that because I had all females that regardless of what I introduced whether another female or male I would be OK? The aggressor was definitely the larger of the 2 solorensis not he Lyukyensis which is about an inch larger. I initially got interested in the fairy wrasses because of the colors and reputation to get along.

Am I done adding anymore? Don't really want add anymore and lose due to aggression. Looking to add a couple of more if possible maybe an Exquisite and a Scotts

Thanks

eatbreakfast
04/01/2014, 04:21 PM
Many of the specimens of female solorensis wrasses being sold are actually not C. solorensis at all, but actually a species not yet scientifically described, but is currently labeled as C. cf. cyanopleura. Many of these when offered are also males.

The C. lyukyuensis, if it had the yellow flank was also a male.

It is not unusual for male fairy wrasses to flash, nip and chase newcomers, this is part of the normal workings of figuring out the heirarchy, which is also why it subsided after the initial fighting.

When adding wrasses some use acclimation boxes or add new fish after the lights go out for the day.

skiwez
04/01/2014, 04:33 PM
thanks that makes alot of sense. So I should be able to proceed, but carefully with acclimation box. Also the solorensis were bought from LA. Beautiful fish, but as they were the first ones I ever got would be tough to know the difference. I guess time will tell if one changes color.

Thanks again for the info

albano
04/01/2014, 04:46 PM
When adding wrasses some use acclimation boxes or add new fish after the lights go out for the day.

+1... I use acclimation boxes with all new additions!...sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few days!

snorvich
04/01/2014, 05:20 PM
+1... I use acclimation boxes with all new additions!...sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few days!

I agree. I always go through a lights out cycle.

skiwez
04/01/2014, 06:49 PM
I thought I was OK becuase I put him in before the lights came on, figured it would give him time to adjust. Guess an acclimation box is in my future.

Anyone got suggestions where I could get one online?

albano
04/01/2014, 07:00 PM
I thought I was OK becuase I put him in before the lights came on,

Anyone got suggestions where I could get one online?

IMO...they should be released just before the lights go out!

<$20 at Petco

d-man
04/02/2014, 11:53 AM
Plus 1 on acc boxes.

I came across a terminal male red velvet (very aggressive species) at a deal I couldn't pass up(GF wanted it and was paying for it), so he was the first wrasse in. Obviously was not the smartest move considering the wrasses I was pursuing to purchase.
I've used an acclimation box anywhere from 4 days to 3wks until all aggression subsided. Then let the specimen out an hr before lights out. That way i could watch for a bit and turn lights off if needed and not effect corals at all.

His wrasse mates in order of intro went 2 flame females, labouti male, orange shoulder all as a group.
Then the Rosefascia male, then Rosefascia female, blue flanked, then to cf lancelatus, next to attenuatus and a few coris or hali in between. All with no aggression cuz of box.

d-man
04/02/2014, 11:54 AM
Also a rhomboid male in there as well.

skiwez
06/23/2014, 10:46 AM
So the two fish which I though were female/juvenile Cirrhilabrus solorensis have not changed yet. They are probably about 3 inches. This is my first time keeping these fairy wrasses is this normal? Every once in a while there is some squabbling between the 2 no real damage other than a couple of missing scales. Then is dies down for a couple weeks.
Could the yellow sided prevent one of them from changing into a male?
Or do you think they are still immature enough to change? I don't think so, I've seen smaller ones at the LFS that have changed already
Or as mentioned earlier that they are a different species and may not change color as drastically or at all?

Thanks folks

Will try to grab a photo, but its not easy as they are always on move when out in the open. otherwise they are hiding in the rocks.

evolved
06/23/2014, 11:32 AM
I am willing to bet what you think are female solorensis are actually males of a similar species; hence why they have not changed.

Do they look like this?:
http://www.aquacon.com/images/RubyHeadFairyWrasse1.jpg

Or like this?:
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/critterPics/Cirrhilabrus_solorensis.jpg

skiwez
06/23/2014, 12:32 PM
They look more like the first one except the back part of their body it more orange.

eatbreakfast
06/23/2014, 12:33 PM
I would be willing to wager they are the species in the forst pic of Evolved's post.

evolved
06/23/2014, 01:37 PM
In that case, you likely have 2 male C. cf. cyanopleura wrasses, commonly called the "Ruby Headed Wrasse".

skiwez
06/23/2014, 01:50 PM
Hmm Ok thanks for the info, now I guess as a follow-up any suggestions as to what I should do if anything?

Would you recommend I try to remove 1?

Bought these from probably what I think is the most reputable online vendor as a solorensis. And I got something different. They are still a nice fish and I enjoy them, but was hoping to a) witness the transformation b) enjoy how they interact as male & female.

Should I try ordering again? Or because they are so closely related that WWIII will break out.

Will try to do some investigation on Ruby headed wrasses in the mean time.

Thanks again for the help

albano
06/23/2014, 02:20 PM
Bought these from probably what I think is the most reputable online vendor as a solorensis.

Doesn't really matter which vendor it was...there are many wrasses (especially juvi) that are hard to ID, and are mis-IDd by shippers &/or wholesalers ... so it's easy for a retailer to not really know what they have. Also some online vendors sell and ship fish direct from their wholesaler, so they never actually see the fish, and rely on the info that was provided to them.

eatbreakfast
06/23/2014, 03:56 PM
Would you recommend I try to remove 1?

If they have been living together for the past few months I wouldn't worry too much.

Bought these from probably what I think is the most reputable online vendor as a solorensis. And I got something different.

Albano perfectly explained what happens with online vendors.

They are still a nice fish and I enjoy them, but was hoping to a) witness the transformation b) enjoy how they interact as male & female.

Wrasses do not truly pr as other fish, such as Bangaii cardinals, Clownfish, and some other fish pr. Rather, male/female roles are based on social aggression. In aquaria most females transition to males anyway. I would recommend skipping the female.

Should I try ordering again? Or because they are so closely related that WWIII will break out.

If you go with a male Solorensis, I have seen this combo work in aquaria, but keep a watchful eye and be ready to act if necessary.