PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang question?

Carl Page
04/02/2014, 08:34 AM
Tank is fine with all parameters good....its more a swimming issue. Tang has been backing up in an enclosed area, head up, then violently shaking its back tail in the sand??? Any clue why or have you seen before?

Dmorty217
04/02/2014, 11:59 AM
He is making his spot where he feels comfortable, I guess he feels there is too much sand wherever it is. My maculicep I had would do this all the time to move sand from his spot. A blue devil damsel I have does this too

MondoBongo
04/02/2014, 12:23 PM
didn't you just have a tang that died yesterday?

did he exhibit any odd behavior like this before his demise?

snorvich
04/02/2014, 12:38 PM
didn't you just have a tang that died yesterday?

did he exhibit any odd behavior like this before his demise?

And also a blue P. hepatus with "issues" as well?

CedzAquAddictio
04/02/2014, 01:03 PM
You had 2 yellow tangs and a blue hippo in a 75g tank?
Did you do any QT with these fish?

Carl Page
04/03/2014, 05:41 AM
Yes...blue hippo died and tang... Guess I'm only one in hobby to loose a fish...hmmmmm

Carl Page
04/03/2014, 06:57 AM
I realize that.. And I am new to the hobby. I only have small tangs and fully realize I need a bigger tank as they grow. Actually ultimate goal is 250, but have to sell that to significant other and get past this learning curve as well. I am retired veteran with thick skin so really negative comments don't bother me... But gets frustrating when I ask what I think is a good question and get neg feedback... But I'm a big boy I can take it...lol

Carl Page
04/03/2014, 07:03 AM
And j didn't say I wasa veteran for thanks..simply to say I'm OK with ribbing :)

Art13
04/03/2014, 07:26 AM
With that size tank you might be able to get away with one yellow tang for a while, i wouldn't add anymore, i think hippo's need at least a 6 foot tank as they are active swimmers. Smaller tanks even for a small fish will stress him out. It looks like you are down to one right now, leave it at that as far as tangs go, make sure he has nori to eat and just keep an eye on him.

snorvich
04/03/2014, 07:47 AM
My advice would be to develop a quarantine protocol (see my blog for an example) to prevent these type issues. Also, it would be a good learning experience to read the stickies about parasites and their prevention. That can be found here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389659). Much easier to prevent issues than to try to fix them. Sometimes folks on here get a bit blunt; ignore the language even though the intent is good. And thanks for your service to our country.

Dmorty217
04/03/2014, 07:55 AM
My advice would be to develop a quarantine protocol (see my blog for an example) to prevent these type issues. Also, it would be a good learning experience to read the stickies about parasites and their prevention. That can be found here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389659). Much easier to prevent issues than to try to fix them. Sometimes folks on here get a bit blunt; ignore the language even though the intent is good. And thanks for your service to our country.

+1^ well put as usual. I have the up most respect for veterans and meant nothing ill willed. Thank you for your service.

Carl Page
04/03/2014, 08:00 AM
I have learned a lot here and reading. I did the QT with hippo in 15 gal tank. Copper drops were used and I've got diff options on use or just watch...I chose to use drops for two weeks. Drip acclimated him... About 2, hour process.. Put him in DT and hadn't seen since... Guess CUC has an expensive meal and a learned yet another lesson... I do try the less invasive approach toward "critters" in tank..never can remember names like you guys, but a six line wrasse for worms and cleaner shrimp for eck...

Carl Page
04/03/2014, 08:01 AM
And the second yellow tang was gift from gf and I didn't have heart to tell her I didn't think he would live.....

snorvich
04/03/2014, 08:09 AM
I have learned a lot here and reading. I did the QT with hippo in 15 gal tank. Copper drops were used and I've got diff options on use or just watch...I chose to use drops for two weeks. Drip acclimated him... About 2, hour process.. Put him in DT and hadn't seen since... Guess CUC has an expensive meal and a learned yet another lesson... I do try the less invasive approach toward "critters" in tank..never can remember names like you guys, but a six line wrasse for worms and cleaner shrimp for eck...

Well there are a lot of ways to quarantine, the least invasive way for ich is tank transfer, but when using copper, it is critical to be at the therapeutic dose for 4 weeks. I do strong recommend reading the stickies I referred you to, it will save a lot of problems going forward.

Carl Page
04/03/2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks. I will read.

BrianD
04/03/2014, 08:35 AM
I have removed some posts. Let's not be so quick to assume someone isn't truly looking for help.

Carly, I am sorry, but unfortunately it is not uncommon for people to join for the sole purpose of stirring up controversy. You happened to post about a very hot button topic, and some made a poor assumption.

I would suggest that you return the surviving tang to your LFS and do as much research as possible before adding more fish. Always stock for the tank you have now, not the one you hope to have.

Carl Page
04/03/2014, 08:49 AM
Good advice... This hobby is fun and addicting....:) I'm actually leaning toward adding coral for awhile and let the tank age some...

CedzAquAddictio
04/03/2014, 11:35 AM
I should have said this before, but welcome aboard, Man.

Tangs are truly addictive and somewhat sensitive fish. I started off in this hobby the wrong way, and ended up with a full tank crash from ich shortly after starting my tank. Trust me, I've had a handful of butt chewings come my way as well, but used them as learning lessons, and both my fish, and I have benefited from it greatly.

In my original post, I asked about QT. With what I've learned, if I were in the position you are in right now, I'd buy a separate tank to set up temporarily, and move all of your existing fish to it. Not saying that your current tank has ich, but if your fish weren't QT'd and/or treated, it may (thinking about future fish purchases...). With all of your current fish in the new temporary tank, this temp tank can serve as your QT. You can monitor and treat your current fish if needed, as well as any new fish you purchase.

While your fish are in QT, you can add all of the coral and inverts you want to your existing DT.

You will have a tri-fold benefit from doing this.
1. You will have all of your fish in QT, and a way to QT your new fish.
2. Your current DT can sit fallow for a minimum of 9 weeks to kill off any ich that may exist in your tank.
3. Your current DT has a chance to age a bit...

The aforementioned can be done concurrently, and you won't have to be without fish in the meantime. Your taste in fish strongly urge the need for QT, and you want to make sure that your DT is healthy for any fish that you choose to add to it...

You can find a 75g tank on craigslist for next to nothing, and it doesn't have to be drilled for a QT tank.

If you end up having to medicate your fish in QT with copper or whatever, you can use old water from your DT to keep the water changes going for your QT. The copper will kill any ich that may be in the water column, and you will only have make water for one tank. New water goes into your DT, and old water from the DT feeds your QT. Please note: Do NOT treat your DT with copper, but treat the water coming from your DT with copper before adding it to your QT if you have to use copper...

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

MondoBongo
04/03/2014, 11:44 AM
+1 to QT. best investment i've made.

i picked up a 20 long with heater, HOB filter, hood w/light, and stand from craigs list for $40. cleaned it up, spray painted the stand black, and had a perfect QT system.

i later upgraded the lighting to a 4 bulb t5 ho fixture so i could QT clams and more sensitive corals. the fixture actually cost most than the original setup, but well worth it.

RonV
04/03/2014, 05:55 PM
Tank is fine with all parameters good....its more a swimming issue. Tang has been backing up in an enclosed area, head up, then violently shaking its back tail in the sand??? Any clue why or have you seen before?

I have had my yellow tang for 2 years and it does this also. I don't know why they do this, maybe their looking for food in the sand?

Aaaron
04/03/2014, 06:13 PM
Had mine for 11 and it does the same thing. Territory thing I think