PDA

View Full Version : Is this true..?

Jblank44
04/02/2014, 03:11 PM
So i have an acan on the sand on a 1" x 1" frag plug, the skeleton on the plug is about 1/2" to 1". from what I have read, if i leave it on the sand it will make its own skeleton structure to get larger in width and height? Or will it stop growing once all side so the exposed skeleton are covered? OR will it just grow onto the sand? I want it to be nice and semi circle/ball shaped. Please tell me which is the right one! A bit confused here!

Here is the acan:

http://i.imgur.com/48sSwTLl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/SFlUIIRl.jpg

Here is a pic of it today, a week after having it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/03/ajepegag.jpg

you can see the exposed skeleton, is that all that it has to grow on? I hope the correct one above is it creates its own skeleton! But I know that will take a lot longer. Also, any ideas on how to achieve the ball growth quicker is welcomed!

Thanks,

Jacob

Art13
04/02/2014, 03:35 PM
I've seen a few in the sand people have grown out that turned into a ball.

Mael
04/02/2014, 03:37 PM
not sure on creating shaped growth but it will keep growing on its own over and off the plug creating new skeleton as it goes. My acans create new polyps on the side like yours does and should naturally create a slightly domed shape due to the plug underneath.

As far as getting them to grow a bit quicker? feed them if you arent already, like twice a week with plankton/roti or shrimp(my rainbow, although small, can take in an entire mysis shrimp)

Jblank44
04/02/2014, 03:40 PM
I've seen a few in the sand people have grown out that turned into a ball.

Cool, hopefully mine do!

not sure on creating shaped growth but it will keep growing on its own over and off the plug creating new skeleton as it goes. My acans create new polyps on the side like yours does and should naturally create a slightly domed shape due to the plug underneath.

As far as getting them to grow a bit quicker? feed them if you arent already, like twice a week with plankton/roti or shrimp(my rainbow, although small, can take in an entire mysis shrimp)

Yep i feed every other day, the growth already has been great. But awesome, do it wont grow onto the sand? it would make another head and skeleton first correct?

cloak
04/02/2014, 03:51 PM
I'm not entirely sure if this will help with the ball formation, but every time you do a water change, try rotating the coral 90 degrees. I've been doing this to a Blastomussa merletti, and it has really filled out nice. GL.

Jblank44
04/02/2014, 06:20 PM
I'm not entirely sure if this will help with the ball formation, but every time you do a water change, try rotating the coral 90 degrees. I've been doing this to a Blastomussa merletti, and it has really filled out nice. GL.

Why do you do that? Anything you read? I can think if some reasons why it would work! But I also have reason why I think it wouldn't. I always thought the more you let it be the more it will grow due to it being happy with how it is and as less stress as possible.

Mael
04/03/2014, 09:45 AM
I guess it depends on the coral, some are more sensitive and slower to be back to happy after being touched than others. (that sounded dirty)

The rotation I would assume is for even light and flow to all sides, creating a more uniform growth pattern.

And no I dont believ they grow directly on the sand, they would creating a new skeleton base which is usually attached by one side to the existing colony which is probably why they tend to grow into dome like shapes.

Jblank44
04/03/2014, 10:26 AM
I guess it depends on the coral, some are more sensitive and slower to be back to happy after being touched than others. (that sounded dirty)

The rotation I would assume is for even light and flow to all sides, creating a more uniform growth pattern.

And no I dont believ they grow directly on the sand, they would creating a new skeleton base which is usually attached by one side to the existing colony which is probably why they tend to grow into dome like shapes.

Okay perfect exactly what I wanted to know!

Scubajaren
04/04/2014, 07:11 PM
I have a lot of acans and i have noticed that they grow much better on bigger pieces of rock where they can stretch out and make more heads or you just get balls of acans. my new favorite thing i like to glue my colonies to is dead fungia skeletons.

pantherguy30
04/06/2014, 11:11 PM
I have found by placing them on the sand I have gotten balls of acans. By putting them on something to stretch out on they grow flat. Feeding them frequently seems to help pop out heads as long as everything is heathy.

mgraf
04/08/2014, 03:39 AM
I bought 2" natural stone tiles from a tile shop to place my sand bed corals on. Works well, blends in well with sand, and gives them room to grow outward, before upward.

Jblank44
04/08/2014, 11:23 AM
I bought 2" natural stone tiles from a tile shop to place my sand bed corals on. Works well, blends in well with sand, and gives them room to grow outward, before upward.

Oh wow! Great idea! I may try that!