PDA

View Full Version : preparing for 1st water test???

scott3569
04/02/2014, 06:39 PM
Ok I am in the process of getting a 56 gal tank up and going, I am hoping that..this weekend I will be putting water in to start the cycling...

So this is my thought..with my ending result in mind. I want to have corals and fish..so I was thinking about testing the peramiters for everything that I need to happen in my tank for my ending result(even if I can't put the coral in right away). Why not start testing for it, and making it coral ready??? other than it maybe be a little extra $$ for the test.

And Also I would like to know a list of tests,brand to use..Did you do it like this?? if not why? if so, did it help with your transition to your corals??

bnumair
04/02/2014, 07:36 PM
salifert elos and red sea are good brands along with some of the hanna checkers.
at first i wouldnt get expensive kits mentioned. just get API ammonia nitrite and nitrates. run the cycle through then do water change and then start testing for calcium,alkalinity and magnesium. upto the time cycle is over and you do large water changes i find no need to test for anything other than initial 3 ammonia nitrite and nitrate.
Once you do complete the cycle and start testing 4 major things cal alk mag and phos and some what nitrates start a log and note every detail about the results and conditions of tank it will be helpful over time. then wait atleast 6 months after things balance out before adding corals.

shermanator
04/02/2014, 07:44 PM
I found API okay for cycling, but I quickly grew annoyed with the procedure and colors hard to determine. But it works for NH3, NO2, and NO3.

Post cycle, I have been using RedSea Pro kit for NO3 and Hanna checker for PO4. I like the Hanna checker PO4 test kit a lot, it's very easy to do and gives a clear answer. I bought a ResSea kit for cal, alk, and mag but have yet to use it.

scott3569
04/02/2014, 08:33 PM
I kinda understand what your saying about starting out with the less expensive tests..I guess I am just worried about having mix results..and I don't really want to be changing brands to test with because that I don't think would give you accurate readings..

Joel_155
04/02/2014, 08:56 PM
I kinda understand what your saying about starting out with the less expensive tests..I guess I am just worried about having mix results..and I don't really want to be changing brands to test with because that I don't think would give you accurate readings..

start with API to get your cycle handled and then upgrade once your cycle is complete. The API test should be around $30 to $40. The better tests kits mentioned above are like $30 per test. Right now it's not necessary and you just need to know your ammonia nitrate and nitrite

MinnFish
04/02/2014, 09:07 PM
start with API to get your cycle handled and then upgrade once your cycle is complete. The API test should be around $30 to $40. The better tests kits mentioned above are like $30 per test. Right now it's not necessary and you just need to know your ammonia nitrate and nitrite

Not exactly true. BRS has a Red Sea Marine Care test kit for $30. It includes ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph and alk. Check it out. Happy reefing.

Joel_155
04/02/2014, 09:08 PM
Oh cool!

scott3569
04/03/2014, 04:36 AM
ok thank you for all the responses.