PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Fish injured from fight - what should I dose?

Spar
04/03/2014, 07:46 PM
Just had my new powder blue tang kick my Naso's butt... doesn't look good. I pulled the Naso out and is in a hospital tank on his own. There are wounds all across his body. What should I add to the water to help him? I have two forms of antibiotics if that will help? Maracyn Plus and Furan-2... which of the 2 of so?

Anything else? My medicine cabinet is fairly full of stuff, so maybe I already have it. Stores are closing right now though.

bif24701
04/03/2014, 08:03 PM
Antibiotic would to be bad, only use one. Otherwise I would just let him heal. What size is your display?

Greatreefer
04/03/2014, 08:08 PM
post picts of naso!
Okay, IMO you got two major issues ATM,
1: Fish is beat up. How bad? are we talking mutilation or . just minor damage?

2: If the fish is sick and is showing signs of external disease then treat with meds. However, you need to know what type of disease you are treating. The two medicines that you listed IMO are the best on the market. However, it will depend on the overall health of the Naso.

If the fish is mutilated there is really no medicine that will help. However, if the fish is eating and swimming around normally monitor for roughly two - three weeks for infection and if none is found then introduce them back into the population.

I personally wouldn't medicate until you start to see infection.

Spar
04/03/2014, 08:14 PM
it doesnt look like disease. pretty sure he just is stressed and hurt. he isn't mutilated, but does have wounds up and down his sides. i went ahead and added the Furan-2 after talking to a friend. I will do a large (near 100%) water change tomorrow and put in a DT-soaked sponge for bacteria.

doesnt look like he is going to make it though.

DT is 450g.

Spar
04/04/2014, 07:26 AM
update: he made it through the night, but still looks really bad. his body is curved into a C-shape. he laid on the bottom of the tank all night like that, and now he is floating at the top like that (still in a C-shape). he is breathing, but rapidly. does this C-shape thing mean something?

FTDelta
04/04/2014, 07:59 AM
Sounds like he's not going to make it considering the trauma he's suffered in the hands of your other tang. But.. stranger things has happened though.